cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC Red Button HD on 990 has goneoff my box!

bigguy283
Up to speed

hi there!
i set up my v6 box to record the cricket 100 , on channel 990, but all it recirded was " this channel is not available!" for 3 hours, so i checked the tv guide of the box and yes , channel 990 is not there only 991, which is bbc red button SD !.  why has this happened now, 990 has been there over 2 weeks and i set up series record for the cricket and it worked fine till this week.
please help as SD is terrible quality
thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi bigguy283,

Sadly BBC removed the HD version of the red button service from cable and satellite platforms on August 10th following the conclusion of the Olympics, and reverted the feed back to SD

It went live on cable and satellite platforms in June just ahead of Wimbledon.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi bigguy283,

Sadly BBC removed the HD version of the red button service from cable and satellite platforms on August 10th following the conclusion of the Olympics, and reverted the feed back to SD

It went live on cable and satellite platforms in June just ahead of Wimbledon.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It won't help now, but if you change your series link from being channel-specific to include "all channels" and use "HD if available", then it should prevent this and at least pick up an SD recording rather than none at all.

There's also blame on the BBC here, for relegating sports that they have the broadcast rights to, to red-button streams.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

cheekyangus
Superfast

The BBC put their Red Button coverage on iPlayer, not just Live but for afterwards, so you could watch the things you meant to record in better picture quality via that if your recordings fail to work.

@bigguy283 wrote:

hi there!
i set up my v6 box to record the cricket 100 , on channel 990, but all it recirded was " this channel is not available!" for 3 hours, so i checked the tv guide of the box and yes , channel 990 is not there only 991, which is bbc red button SD !.  why has this happened now, 990 has been there over 2 weeks and i set up series record for the cricket and it worked fine till this week.
please help as SD is terrible quality
thanks

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @bigguy283,

Welcome back to our community forums. 

Sorry to hear you experienced this with the BBC button HD. We can understand this is not ideal. Was the great advice given by our community helpful? Do you need any further help?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

many thanks for all help

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @bigguy283

Glad to hear your issue is now resolved, have a great day and be sure to contact us if you require any further assistance 🙂

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The BBC actually had 6 pop-up channels for Wimbledon. The streams on 992 to 996 closed after this, leaving only the HD version of 991 for the additional Olympics coverage.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

VM tv channel 991

I use this to watch the live  radio 2 music concerts, they run on repeat and this is a 4 hour time period so the concerts can be watched all day or recorded. 

Also has sport and other subjects that are on the bbc red button. I had forgot this is still available on the virgin TV. 

I do not have HD but the channel is in my package.

The alternative is to use freeview  and the chanel is 601 for the bbc red button channel or can be selected by pressing the red button from channel  bbc 1.

alf28