Menu
Sue_Derby
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Automatic switch channels function

Before the V6 box, I had a v+ box. Part of the functionality of the v+ box was to enable me to set the box to automatically change channels when a programme I wanted to watch was about to start. This meant I could do something else, with the TV on another channel, such as a music one, in the background, without missing the programme I wanted to watch. With the V6 box, this is no longer possible. Instead, the choice is either to record the programme, or record and the TV display a reminder on screen when the programme is about to start - not helpful if you are not looking at the TV when the message appears. I now find that I miss the start of things that I want to watch live (mainly sports events such as the six nations, so don't want to watch after recording as you risk hearing the scores). Can someone please explain why a very useful function was removed and replaced by something far less useful? After all, if I want to record the programme I don't need the reminder. It would be far better for the reminder to switch channels and record to be a separate, independent function. Not hard to set both if you want watch and record. Can't the switch channels function be reinstated please?
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Automatic switch channels function

Record and Remind will change channel for you if you are not in front of the box when the reminder comes along.

In fact, you get the added bonus that the program gets recorded as well so you miss nothing.

0 Kudos
Sue_Derby
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ernie. Thanks for the reply. Part of the issue I have is that I don't want to record everything I set a reminder for. As someone said in another post, if you record a programme then the V6 box records others which it believes are similar automatically. This means that if you use the record and remind, the box records all sorts of things you not interested in. For example, I set it to switch over to a medical programme when I was interested in that week's topic. I now get endless episodes of doctors, endless programmes about dieting etc. I really feel that the switch channels and record should be separate actions. If you want to record as you watch, fine, but don't make it part of the same command. Especially as you can pause and replay live TV if anything does interrupt your viewing anyway.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Turn off Suggestions and the TiVo software won’t record anything other than what you set to record.

0 Kudos
Sue_Derby
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ernie. Appreciate your help with that. Still think that keeping record and switch channels as separate commands is better than combining them, but grateful for your help.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This has been discussed before and is engrained in the logic of the TiVo software.

All 3 tuners on TiVo and all 6 on V6 are available for recording. In order to ‘reserve’ one for a ‘Live TV reminder’, you have to set a recording.

If you are in front of the TV when the reminder is displayed, you can stop the recording from happening.

Highlighted
theMink
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

yet again 'progress' isn't better than what we had
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@theMinkwrote:
yet again 'progress' isn't better than what we had

You can record from all the tuners instead of some of them. That's progress to me

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
kt4u
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I totally agree with you - it was so easy with the old box - wish I had not thrown it away... highlight the prog then select change channel at start - which was especially helpful for my 95 year old mother if I happened to go out before her fav prog started... tivo box should have that option..I'm not happy

michaeldavis
Superfast
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

ok the reminder is a sort of loss of function, but there is an added feature with the record and display reminder.

You can now use the queue back feature to go back to the start of the program and if it has adverts to queue forward feature to move past them so on balance it is there are more pros than cons

0 Kudos