cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio description comes on automatically on Ch4+1 (Tivo and now V6)

martyp
Superfast

Hi all,

I reported this issue on my old 500GB TiVo box and now the same thing has started happening on my V6 box I have that replaced it. I have Channel 4+1 on in the morning and when a certain programme would come on it would automatically turn on Audio Description yet I have never needed it or knowingly set it.

It wasn't on during Countdown (07:05-07:45) but came on for The Big Bang Theory (started at 07:45). I had the TV paused as well for about 20 minutes as well.

I can turn it off in Info each time but it's annoying as to why it is suddenly switching on like this. Could it be related to the recent issues with Channel 4? I can't say if it happens with other channels as only watch this one in the mornings.

30 REPLIES 30

martyp
Superfast

That's strange, I had a notification with a suggestion but when I tried to view it it said access denied.

I checked the settings on the V6 (no profile option) and audio and it had English selected, audio description wasn't selected or showing as turned on in options.

It doesn't seem to come on on any other channels at all, just seemed to start on Channel 4+1 at around 8am both on my old Tivo and this one. It's like a signal is sent that enables it or something.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @martyp,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post, and I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue.

Have you taken a look at your V6 settings to see if your Audio Description is turned off?

You can do this by:

• Press the Info button on your remote control to bring up the Info Banner
  • Press the down arrow twice to go to Audio Description
  • Press OK to turn Audio Description ON or OFF

Please let us know how you get on.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks Paulina, I have to do that anyway to turn it off when it comes on but the issue is that it comes back on again automatically for some reason as a specific programme comes on. I keep turning it off when I hear it come on during Big Bang Theory through that method and the next morning it just switches back on again and I have to turn it off again that way.

I'm so sorry to hear that this hasn't resolved this issue! 

Can I just confirm is the specific programme that this happens to The Big Bang Theory and only on one channel at one specific time, or is it anytime this programme is on?

Thank you again. 

Hi Ash, it seems like it's triggered at a certain time possibly. I have Channel 4+1 on in the morning and it used to happen when Everybody Loves Raymond came on in the morning too. I could watch Cheers for 2 episodes then I think Everybody Loves Raymond came on and I heard the audio description. Now the schedule is different, it isn't on during Countdown and I think maybe the first episode of Big Bang Theory then it comes on at the start of the 2nd episode. I'll monitor it tomorrow and check. I don't touch the remote at all except to maybe pause the channel so don't get why it seems to come on when a specific programme starts or at a specific time possibly.

I can turn it off in Info but would rather it didn't come on at all and I had to keep turning it off as it happens.

Many thanks

Hi Ash,

I just checked a few things this morning. The TV came on on ITV2, AD was not enabled on there. I switched to Channel 4 and it wasn't enabled then switched to Channel 4+1 and it was on but the programme didn't have audio description so it seems to be getting enabled on Channel 4+1 but I don't realise until a programme comes on that has it.

I also note that on Info AD isn't highlighted on this channel either it is sort of greyed out.20211129_070518.jpg20211129_071657.jpg20211129_071710.jpg

I'm trying 'Press OK to change your audio track settings and see if that does it as normally I just click OK on AD and turn it off there.

Hi martyp,

Thank you for coming back to us, I will get this looked into and try to find out if it is a channel issue and if they have been made aware of it, once I find out more I will come back to you?

Regards

Paul.

Thanks Paul, much appreciated. It was the same again this morning, I was on ITV2 and it wasn't enabled then on Channel 4+1 it was. I'll try and work out when it comes on as the box goes into standby around midnight then comes back on around 7am and it's on at that point. I might check Channel 4+1 just after midnight to see if it starts at that point.