cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are we getting free Paramount+ access if we have Sky Cinema?

escribblings
Up to speed

I have just recently read that ViacomCBS has done a deal with Sky.

SkyQ customers will be able to add Paramount+ to their subscription, and Sky Cinema subscribers will get it included for free.

Does this mean that Virgin Sky Cinema subscribers will also get it?

Also - whether it's included in our packages or not, will there be an official channel for it like there is for Netflix and Amazon Prime?

Also is there an app or channel for Disney+ ?

Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/gadgets-tech/television/paramount-plus-uk-sky-b2073074...

"To help ferry Paramount Plus across the Atlantic, owner ViacomCBS is partnering with Sky Group in the UK, which means freebies for some Sky members. Sky Q customers will be able to add the new streaming service to their existing plan, and Sky Cinema customers will get Paramount Plus included for free."

#################################
# I do *not* work for VM - Just saying. #
21 REPLIES 21

https://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/gadgets-tech/television/paramount-plus-uk-sky-b2073074...

Paramount Plus is launching in the UK on 22 June for £6.99 per month...

To help ferry Paramount Plus across the Atlantic, owner ViacomCBS is partnering with Sky Group in the UK, which means freebies for some Sky members. Sky Q customers will be able to add the new streaming service to their existing plan, and Sky Cinema customers will get Paramount Plus included for free.

If you’re not a Sky customer, you can pay for an annual Paramount Plus subscription to get an effective discount of £13.98 per year.

I've recently noticed that the Paramount+ app is available for download on my Fire TV Stick 4K.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

It's also available as a channel through Amazon.

But both options are a paid subscription.

My question was whether we would get it for FREE.  But it seems that's only available to Sky Cinema customers with Sky+, Sky Q or Sky Glass 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Paramount+ isn't available for free on Sky + boxes, just Sky Q and Sky Glass, also see the info below from

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/using-paramount-plus 

NOW and non-Sky TV customers

The Paramount+ app will not be available on NOW. However, as part of Sky Cinema’s continued relationship with Paramount, NOW Cinema Members will still be able to stream brand-new Paramount blockbusters through Sky Cinema, whilst continuing to enjoy Paramount’s library of on demand films, at no additional cost.

Access to the Paramount+ app at no extra cost with a Sky Cinema subscription is only available to Sky TV customers. It is not available through other Sky Cinema providers like Virgin Media.

Info below from cordbusters.

Sky TV customers who are subscribed to Sky Cinema will indeed get Paramount+ for free – with a few caveats. They only get the full app, and the full Paramount+ experience, if they have either Sky Q or Sky Glass.  Those customers can find a standalone Paramount+ app on their Sky Q or Sky Glass devices, and will also be able to access Paramount+ on other devices, with their own credentials.

Sky Q and Sky Glass customers who are not subscribed to Sky Cinema will still be able to use the standalone Paramount+ app on their devices, but will have to sign up and pay for it separately.

For now, Paramount+ in the UK is only available in Full HD (1080p), as it does not support 4K/HDR. Paramount+ UK does NOT support Dolby Atmos, and at the moment officially supports 5.1 Dolby sound.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I think it's sensible for Paramount to launch a limited service. When it's stabilised 4K, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos can be added (although Dolby Vision will be dumbed down to HDR10 as VM still doesn't support DV).

--

@newapollo wrote:

Paramount+ isn't available for free on Sky + boxes, just Sky Q and Sky Glass, also see the info below from

Not 100% accurate re Sky+ 😉

From the same link:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/using-paramount-plus

"Sky Cinema subscribers with Sky Glass or Sky Q are able to access the Paramount+ app on their TV and other devices, whilst Sky+ has a range of content from Paramount+ automatically available on their set-top box."

But all that is a moot point for VM customers.

@newapollo is correct. Sky+ is a discontinued product and the Paramount+ app isn't available on their old box, so these customers have to upgrade to to Sky Glass or Sky Q to get the app.

--

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

@newapollo is correct. Sky+ is a discontinued product and the Paramount+ app isn't available on their old box, so these customers have to upgrade to to Sky Glass or Sky Q to get the app.

I guess you don't read too good...

• Yes, Sky+ is discontinued (but people still have it)
  • Yes, the APP is not available to Sky+ customers.

But as I am quoted above, from Sky's own website:

"Sky+ has a range of content from Paramount+ automatically available on their set-top box."

We are talking about getting the full capability of Paramount+, and that means the app. How is it relevant if people on Sky+ can get limited Paramount+ content on their obsolete platform.

--

My original question WASN'T whether we would get the app per se, it was whether we would get the content for free.

This has been clarified above that VM customers will NOT be getting P+ for free.

I was merely correcting a misleading statement about Sky+.  Yes it's obsolete and not relevant to VM, but it's also best to have accurate information.

I have my answers, this thread can be locked now as far as I'm concerned.