Menu
LdGallifryan
Up to speed
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Any news on more?

I am interested in beta testing this update if possible as the TiVo UI and OS is too dated on virgin media.. 

As I have owned the original TiVo box and the V Box.. It is about time for a new better quality of service update. 

And app installs(so you can download or side-load apps, expandable storage, voice control, font changing and better things for people that are disabled in many of ways to use your TV service.

Are there any news for this on Virgin Media in the whole UK?? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Any news on more?

I'm not sure what update you are referring to?

As for your wish list, you wont see side-loading apps on any update and expandable storage is VERY unlikely.

Are you registered as a Beta tester?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@LdGallifryan wrote:

I am interested in beta testing this update if possible as the TiVo UI and OS is too dated on virgin media.. 

As I have owned the original TiVo box and the V Box.. It is about time for a new better quality of service update. 

And app installs(so you can download or side-load apps, expandable storage, voice control, font changing and better things for people that are disabled in many of ways to use your TV service.

Are there any news for this on Virgin Media in the whole UK?? 

There will be no beta testing of the next UI, its already been done. Liberty Global (that owns Virgin Media) will be releasing the Horizon 4 UI across its operations in the near future. We are already using the box that will drive it. As for increased storage, with the new update you wont need any storage at all on the V6. Read on:

https://www.libertyglobal.com/blog/horizon-4-is-here/

The apps you have on the box are the ones Virgin have contracts with. Don't forget. you don't own the box, Virgin do.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
sjholland
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Recordings will mostly be available on all devices

That sounds interesting.

0 Kudos
LdGallifryan
Up to speed
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Any news on horizon UI?

Yes I was on about Horizon UI. 

I am sick and tired of the old style and not so many features.. 

That with what nodrogd said that we don't own the box, why did most of us have to pay for the V6 box? I had to spend £200 for 2 V6 boxes on launch.

And the superhub3.0 at launch was £50 for me.

If we leave or swap boxes it should really give us that money back.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@LdGallifryan wrote:

That with what nodrogd said that we don't own the box, why did most of us have to pay for the V6 box? I had to spend £200 for 2 V6 boxes on launch.

And the superhub3.0 at launch was £50 for me.

If we leave or swap boxes it should really give us that money back.

Paying an activation fee does not give you ownership of the box. Its an administration charge.

These charges vary depending on how you changed your package. When I upgraded from the V+/Superhub 1 to the VIP bundle last year I only paid for activation on the 2nd V6 (£50). The others were free.

Except from VMs T& Cs :

"H. Using the equipment

1. We provide equipment to you for as long as you continue to receive services from us.  The equipment remains our property at all times and we may need to alter or replace it from time to time.  For us to do this, we may need reasonable access to your home.  We also need you to follow our reasonable instructions if we need to send you replacement equipment, for example where we need to upgrade our hub or set-top-box for security or performance improvements."

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
LdGallifryan
Up to speed
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes I know that, but when it comes to having your old equipment replaced to a new equipment if it is broken.

Activation should be free. As a loyal customer I know I am getting screwed but, a second activation fee is a ripoff. Take it from the over charging you do to us. Not more money from our pockets!

At the moment people are paying £40-70 more for being a loyal customer.. It should be the other way around, as a loyal customer we should gradually have a reduced bill, of £40-70. With all the crap we have to deal with.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@LdGallifryan wrote:

Yes I know that, but when it comes to having your old equipment replaced to a new equipment if it is broken.

Activation should be free. As a loyal customer I know I am getting screwed but, a second activation fee is a ripoff. Take it from the over charging you do to us. Not more money from our pockets!

At the moment people are paying £40-70 more for being a loyal customer.. It should be the other way around, as a loyal customer we should gradually have a reduced bill, of £40-70. With all the crap we have to deal with.

Much truth in that, unfortunately unless the regulator forces change its not going to happen.

OFCOM encourage switching so the whole "tempt you in the door with offers and whack you with charges later" philosophy suits their remit.

As for second activation charges for new kit- I like to call it "early adopter tax" - Tivo was the same, 100 quid at first, then 50, then free.

V6 has followed the same pattern as has HUB3. You want new kit without paying anything?  Just wait, thats what I do.

I dont mean that to be patronising, its just my observation of VM's business model.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:
As for increased storage, with the new update you wont need any storage at all on the V6. Read on:

"Recordings which, by the way, are stored in the cloud so no need for a hard-disk inside the TV box anymore."

Ooooo,  I am not sure everyone is going to like that Smiley Happy

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:

@nodrogd wrote:
As for increased storage, with the new update you wont need any storage at all on the V6. Read on:

"Recordings which, by the way, are stored in the cloud so no need for a hard-disk inside the TV box anymore."

Ooooo,  I am not sure everyone is going to like that Smiley Happy

Swings & Roundabouts!

If you want true "fluid" viewing between devices, the cloud is the only way to go. You also won't lose your recordings if the box goes kaput. The downside will inevitably be time limits for viewing. 

0 Kudos