Menu
Vernon4729
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

An impossible start up!

I have just received my new shiny V6 box after the last one died of old age.  The excitement soon turned to disappointment when the new box failed to start up correctly and so I am left without TV.

Added to this an outage for the N14 area (either sods law or convenient) then I am left with no tv service until I make the call to the service team again and WAIT ANOTHER HOUR on the phone to get to speak to someone...

Whilst the people are polite I speak to, there's always an excuse...

I just want an engineer to come out as soon as possible as its frustrating paying for something that isnt working!  Are there any tips to bypass the call centre and get someone quickly!

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: An impossible start up!

@Vernon4729 wrote:

I just want an engineer to come out as soon as possible as its frustrating paying for something that isnt working!  Are there any tips to bypass the call centre and get someone quickly!

If there were, everyone would use it and it wouldn't be a shortcut for very long 😉

Check for known area faults on 0800 5610061. Anything genuinely wrong in your local area (potentially down to street/postcode level) should be reported on here, unless it's happened in the past hour or so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

SpacePhoenix
Superfast
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Any error code being displayed?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Vernon4729,

Have you activated the replacement box yet?

You need to call the automated line on  0800 953 9500 to activate the box. You will need the box serial number, and your account number and area code.

You could also try contacting  New accounts and Set Up for them to complete the setup and activation. That would be options 1,1,1 and 4 if dialling 150 from a Virgin landline , or options 1,1,2 and 4  if dialling 0345 4541111 from any other phone

You could also try the following :- VM have recently started pre-activating their equipment, and the box should call "home" and be activated within 30 minutes, however sometimes this fails and the advice is to sign into Service status at the top of this page and run a test against the equipment you are installing. By doing this VM will be able to reboot the box or put you in touch with the right team.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

0 Kudos
Vernon4729
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

no error code but I managed to get it sorted

Thanks

0 Kudos
Vernon4729
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all... i woke up with a bright idea and it worked!

I disconnected the box from the tv, moved the box next to the wi-fi and connected by wire.  It still did the update without the need to watch it on the screen... I left it for an hour connected, then moved it back to the room where the telly was and hey presto it worked...

I think i am a genius and next in line for a role as an engineer with VM... happy now!

Thanks for help everyone

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for posting back with the tip and a good news outcome!

Sounds like network connectivity was the issue, and using Ethernet cable was the solution... never bad advice with a V6!

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos