cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Prime Football very poor picture quality

ejp
Tuning in

I get very poor picture quality when watching Premiership Football matches or Rugby matches on Amazon Prime. (eg football last night).

For everything else picture quality is very good. Including all other Amazon programs, Netflix, iPlayer, Sky, BT, etc.  Even the adverts at half time on Amazon are fine. Its just the football itself!

I have two V6 boxes, one connected to an upmarket Sony TV and the other to a more basic Panasonic. The problem is the same with both. Both are HD TVs.

Moving objects (like the football) are smeary.

My speculation is that Amazon football is sent in a 4k format that the V6 box has difficulty in down levelling to HD. It has no problem with other 4K - so I can watch BT Sport Ultimate and it will successfully show that in HD.

Does anyone else have this problem - or know if Amazon are using an unusual 4k encoding method?

11 REPLIES 11

@M1BDE wrote:

I have been suffering poor picture quality watching football on Prime through my V6 box.

However, tonight I discovered the picture quality is excellent when watching through the app on my LG tv.

Surely Virgin Media can rectify this?

I find the same as you - the picture is excellent on either my LG tv, or my Sky Q box, but not so good on the V6 box. To my mind it is a framerate issue - clearly the fact that certain platforms are fine shows that it isn't a broadcast issue, but the way the apps and set top boxes present that picture. I haven't looked recently via the Xbox, but that had a reasonable picture, but was converting from 50 hz to 60 hz, so was far from ideal, albeit better to my eyes than the V6 picture.

Just thought i would jump from inbuilt lg oled Amazon app uhd football to 360 app and it’s shocking compared to my tv what’s going on there ?