cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional TV box via WiFi

Farrar1
On our wavelength

Good afternoon all, 

Does anyone know if Virgin Media offer an additional box that can provide TV channels & apps etc without the normal white wire i.e. a box that deals with everything via WiFi (a bit like the additional boxes that Sky provide)?

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The short answer is no.

VM offer the Stream option for broadband-only customers which provides broadcast channels over the internet, but without recording facilities and cannot be mixed with an existing TV subscription.

If you already have VM-TV services - TiVo, V6 or TV360, then your TV channels are carried over the co-ax connection and the internet is used for OnDemand & streaming.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Farrar1
On our wavelength

Such a shame - because getting the wire to some rooms is just too much hassle. 

It would even be better if the Virgin TV Go app could be installed on Smart TV's - that would be one way to do it. 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Farrar1 wrote:

It would even be better if the Virgin TV Go app could be installed on Smart TV's - that would be one way to do it. 

And is also a way of circumventing paying for an additional box.

There are also agreement issues with the broadcasters over doing this, as it would increase “illegal” use of the content that is only licenced for “home” use. TV Go can be used over any internet connection remember. There would be nothing to stop a Virgin subscriber giving their password to their local pub or club to allow streaming of football matches via the app direct to a TV avoiding a commercial subscription. There are some channels & content that are not allowed to be streamed over the apps now, even though they only connect to portable devices.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@Farrar1 wrote:

Why isn't the one-off hassle worth being able to watch an additional box at any time on any day.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection