Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 31 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Re: 4K Upscaling - V6 or tv - it's your choice

Personally, I’ve always been happy with the job that V6 does.

Before the latest update, I used 2160p / 2160p passthru / 1080p passthru. The only issue was with SD channels.

This has been effectively fixed by adding 576i, allowing my TV to do a better job for this resolution, on the new software level.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 32 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Do you have a noticeable screen blanking/flickering when switching between 576i and other resolutions? I did on my Panny, so I chose not to enable 576i (not a problem as the V6 does a good job of upscaling SD in my case).

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 33 of 44
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Do you have a noticeable screen blanking/flickering when switching between 576i and other resolutions? I did on my Panny, so I chose not to enable 576i (not a problem as the V6 does a good job of upscaling SD in my case).

It’s slight in my case, similar to what you get when YouTube app switches between 24/25/30 fps. No inconvenience as the upscaling from TV is better.

0 Kudos
Garwoofoo
Tuning in
Message 34 of 44
Flag for a moderator

One issue with the new options is that iPlayer on the V6 box always outputs a 2160p signal even though 99.9% of the content is 1080p. So you have to deal with the V6's atrocious upscaling rather than it outputting a 1080p signal like it should.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 35 of 44
Flag for a moderator

A lot of the HD iPlayer content was - and may still be - fixed at 720p25. And if it uses adaptive bitrate to auto adjust to the best quality of your connection you won't know what you're getting. In either case the V6 has to upscale to 2160p50 for 4K TVs (unless the content just happens to match the pass-through framerates of 24/25/30fps) as there is no V6 setting to pass everything through to the TV.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
wm29
Tuning in
Message 36 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Glad I read this as I've encountered blank screens and a fuzzy Guide with my 4K Samsung TV.

My system setup is a little unusual.

I have 4 HDMI inputs all capable of 2160.

However the majority of my set-top boxes, including the V6, go via a ten way switch (which does not handle 2160) to HDMI 1. The other three HDMI inputs have 4K boxes attached.

So far, I've not wanted to watch VM's 4K content, so am happy with this setup.

When I occasionally reset the V6, I temporarily plug it in to one of the other HDMI inputs to avoid a blank screen when it defaults to 2160.

Afterwards, I used to set the Video Format to everything except 2160 and experienced switching delays and a fuzzy Guide and wondered why.

I have now set the Video Format to 1080i  only which results in a clean Guide page and virtually no switching delays.

Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
kirk1690
Dialled in
Message 37 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Iv tried this and it didn't come out well ,TV blinking all time and it's annoying TV guide changing resolution all the time , 1080p is best I think , hdmi cabled like one input and one only .

0 Kudos
IB
Up to speed
Message 38 of 44
Flag for a moderator

@bolgerp wrote:

I have had a chance to play around with this now for the last couple of weeks. I have an LG OLED55B7V (which is a beautiful piece of kit, I must say... but that's for another time).

I used the following combinations:

2160p & 2160 Passthru

2160p & Passthru and 1080p & Passthru

2160p & Passthru, 1080p & Passthru and 1080i.

I didn't go any lower than 1080i.

I found that if I had the TV just handle the upscaling for 1080p/i, it was just a bit too "soft" for my liking and it also seemed to wash the image out a little.. it wasn't as vibrant as having the V6 do the upscaling. So, for my preference, I have left the V6 settings as 2160p & passthru.

I am surprised that the LG's processor doesn't do a better (or at least as good) a job at upscaling as the V6. But that could just be personal preference/opinion. 

I have the same TV, and I had to change some settings compared to what I had with Sky Q (just returned to VM). I use the HDR Effect settings and customised colour, colour temperature, sharpness, HDR effect, etc, etc. Was able to get a very nice picture that's neither soft nor washed out (whereas before it was a little).

0 Kudos
IB
Up to speed
Message 39 of 44
Flag for a moderator

@ozsat wrote:

The new software currently rolling out on V6 boxes sees the return of resolution switching depending on content. Version starts 20.9.1.rc2

This resolution switching used to be an option on the V6 but was removed a few updates ago.

But now back is the option to select multiple resolution options.

So you can select 2160, 2160 passthru, 1080 and 576p. Then the channel you select will be output by the V6 at the resolution it is broadcast in - and your tv will do the upscaling.

Most tvs (it is not the V6) will have a short video blank-out during the resolution change - which is normal.

But now it is the customer's choice. Either let the tv do the upscaling and get a short video blankout - or stick with the single resolution setting on the V6 and leave the upscaling to the V6.

I've opted for the settings 2160, 2160p passthru and 1080p.  Seems to give the best balance of good picture and rare blanking.

This is great to see and info --- only returned to VM yesterday, and the boxes had been set to a single 2160p resolution (like the Sky Q box I'm returning from) when I looked yesterday. I had noticed that the Sky Q did a decent job of upscaling SD to HD and HD to 4k 2160p output, but the VM V6 wasn't as good as upscaling HD to 2160p, and even more so an SD picture to HD then to 2160p wasn't as great. (It's still good though, and this is just my subjective opinion!)

However, playing with the sharpness settings of my TV solved some of those issues, but now I've set the V6 boxes to output in 2160p, 2160p pass-through, 1080p pass through and 1080i (native broadcast), my main LG TV is getting a fantastic picture. There's only a brief flicker when I go to UHD content or back, and it's worth it.

So the V6 is still upscaling to HD, but then my TV takes over and is doing a better job than the V6. It's made a huge improvement on the Movie channels quality too.

We have a cheaper model LG TV in the bedroom which is also 4k, but it's terrible at upscaling full stop... So on that one I did some tests in the same way, and I've found that the V6 is much better at upscaling than the TV itself, so I've just set that to 2160p to allow the V6 to do all the heavy lifting on the upscaling front. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
EvanD
Tuning in
Message 40 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Whilst watching the end of Who Do You Think You Are this week, I discovered the promo on the right of the credits was cropped. I had recently changed my display settings to all the 1080s and 2160s.

When I changed back to just the 2160s, the cropping disappeared. 

In the photos I've attached you will see the cropping of both the promo and the top credit in one photo (the 1080) compared to the 2160 upscaled version. 

The cropping is also quite noticeable in the preview window whilst in the guide.

Edit: Hmmm... Photos don't seem to be attaching. 

Try here (1080): https://photos.app.goo.gl/CVTNdn5oRoCKcPGX6

And here (2160): https://photos.app.goo.gl/Uf9MEBzM81QTMn9x5

0 Kudos