Menu
Garwoofoo
Tuning in
Message 21 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Re: 4K Upscaling - V6 or tv - it's your choice

At last. This has been my most-requested update to the V6 box.

I've set mine to 2160p, 2160p passthrough, 1080p passthrough and 1080i. HD channels are natively broadcast in 1080i (not 1080p) so this means the V6 box does absolutely nothing to the picture before passing it through to the TV. My TV does a *much* better job of upscaling than the set top box, and sound sync is improved as well.

deans6571
Problem sorter
Message 22 of 44
Flag for a moderator

.....yea, I’ve settled on 2160p, 1080i and 720p. 

Checked against the UHD channels also but don’t really see any differences whether my TV scales or the V6 scales so have just left all the settings as above (don’t use streaming apps via the V6). 

One question though : when watching VM’s UHD channel on Ch999, the picture is only marginally better than other HD channels however, when using my TV’s native YouTube app and searching for ‘4K video’, the video result is truly stunning vs Ch999?

Why is VM’s Ch999 not even in the same league as a 4K vid from, YouTube? 

ozsat
Wise owl
Message 23 of 44
Flag for a moderator

I suspect it is down to the bandwidth used. I think there is a maximum possible for a transmitted channel where a stream may be unlimited.

For a long time Sky Sport UHD also seemed far less quality than BT Sport UHD - but seem very silmilar now.

@deans6571 wrote:

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS & UHD/HDR)
VIVID 500 (500/35mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD + 2 minis)
deans6571
Problem sorter
Message 24 of 44
Flag for a moderator

....so watching the World Cup on BBC ONE HD and my TV is reporting the screen resolution as 1920x1980 / 50i (when I have 720, 1080i and 2160p selected in the Settings).  

I guess this is correct.......!

Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 25 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Yup, BBC's 4K is not broadcast as it's streamed via iPlayer.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
deans6571
Problem sorter
Message 26 of 44
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Yup, BBC's 4K is not broadcast as it's streamed via iPlayer.

...just switched over to iPlayer on the V6 and my TV is now reporting the resolution as  3840x2160 /50 + there is a clear improvement in picture quality vs BBC ONE HD, although, my TV’s native iPlayer app seems to show a slightly better picture than the V6 iPlayer app. 

Smiley Happy

Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 27 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Had a bit of a play with this yesterday, turned on all the output options and definitely got a much better picture but the sheer number of resolution switches was annoying (I use a projector and a change takes a few seconds accompanied by lots of whirring sounds as the lens adjusts!), for instance using YouTube would cause switches between the menu and starting every video (and going back again) and on the main V6 menu, there would be switches when starting recordings and even navigating the menus (if I went into a non-HD menu).

I'm guessing there's a bit of balancing act between the number of resolution changes and the picture quality benefits, based on the number of output options selected (that probably varies between devices), but does anyone have any suggested starting points for a setup for a 4K system? What are the resolutions of the HD V6 menus (720p or are they full 1080p? Or something else), I was thinking maybe just setting on the 1080 and 2160 options plus pass through, but wondered if this wouldn't get the nice quality improvements I saw on the menus if they're only 720p.

0 Kudos
ozsat
Wise owl
Message 28 of 44
Flag for a moderator

I found 1080 and 2160 only were the best compromise.

@Tavis75 wrote:

Had a bit of a play with this yesterday, turned on all the output options and definitely got a much better picture but the sheer number of resolution switches was annoying (I use a projector and a change takes a few seconds accompanied by lots of whirring sounds as the lens adjusts!), for instance using YouTube would cause switches between the menu and starting every video (and going back again) and on the main V6 menu, there would be switches when starting recordings and even navigating the menus (if I went into a non-HD menu).

I'm guessing there's a bit of balancing act between the number of resolution changes and the picture quality benefits, based on the number of output options selected (that probably varies between devices), but does anyone have any suggested starting points for a setup for a 4K system? What are the resolutions of the HD V6 menus (720p or are they full 1080p? Or something else), I was thinking maybe just setting on the 1080 and 2160 options plus pass through, but wondered if this wouldn't get the nice quality improvements I saw on the menus if they're only 720p.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS & UHD/HDR)
VIVID 500 (500/35mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD + 2 minis)
0 Kudos
deans6571
Problem sorter
Message 29 of 44
Flag for a moderator

@ozsat wrote:

I suspect it is down to the bandwidth used. I think there is a maximum possible for a transmitted channel where a stream may be unlimited.

For a long time Sky Sport UHD also seemed far less quality than BT Sport UHD - but seem very silmilar now.

@deans6571 wrote:

....have to say, watching The Rook in UHD last night (VM's own produced TV series which I had on a Series Link), looked exceptionally good, when choosing the 720, 1080i and 2160 options.

Smiley Happy

bolgerp
On our wavelength
Message 30 of 44
Flag for a moderator

I have had a chance to play around with this now for the last couple of weeks. I have an LG OLED55B7V (which is a beautiful piece of kit, I must say... but that's for another time).

I used the following combinations:

2160p & 2160 Passthru

2160p & Passthru and 1080p & Passthru

2160p & Passthru, 1080p & Passthru and 1080i.

I didn't go any lower than 1080i.

I found that if I had the TV just handle the upscaling for 1080p/i, it was just a bit too "soft" for my liking and it also seemed to wash the image out a little.. it wasn't as vibrant as having the V6 do the upscaling. So, for my preference, I have left the V6 settings as 2160p & passthru.

I am surprised that the LG's processor doesn't do a better (or at least as good) a job at upscaling as the V6. But that could just be personal preference/opinion. 

0 Kudos