Menu
ozsat
Wise owl
Message 11 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Re: 4K Upscaling - V6 or tv - it's your choice

That seems to be a tv fault. Do you have the new V6 software?

@kirk1690 wrote:

So what's the difference between the two options .I tried the multiple option and it buggered up HDMI or something when it jumped resolution and TV froze everything locked .needed to reboot everything ,digital is easy annoyed .

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS & UHD/HDR)
VIVID 500 (500/35mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD + 2 minis)
0 Kudos
deans6571
Problem sorter
Message 12 of 44
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

The rollout started several weeks ago as I noticed this feature and posted about it, but I've no idea of the rollout schedule.

...I guess there's no way to force an update to 20.9.1.rc2?!

ozsat
Wise owl
Message 13 of 44
Flag for a moderator

No - seems to happen overnight on a day VM choose.

0 Kudos
deans6571
Problem sorter
Message 14 of 44
Flag for a moderator

@ozsat wrote:

The new software currently rolling out on V6 boxes sees the return of resolution switching depending on content. Version starts 20.9.1.rc2

This resolution switching used to be an option on the V6 but was removed a few updates ago.

But now back is the option to select multiple resolution options.

So you can select 2160, 2160 passthru, 1080 and 576p. Then the channel you select will be output by the V6 at the resolution it is broadcast in - and your tv will do the upscaling.

Most tvs (it is not the V6) will have a short video blank-out during the resolution change - which is normal.

But now it is the customer's choice. Either let the tv do the upscaling and get a short video blankout - or stick with the single resolution setting on the V6 and leave the upscaling to the V6.

I've opted for the settings 2160, 2160p passthru and 1080p.  Seems to give the best balance of good picture and rare blanking.

My V6 updated last night to 20.9.1.rc2 so tried out the settings with the following results (tested on my 4K/UHD Samsung 50" MU1620) :

1. Set the V6 settings to 2160p and 2160 Passthrough (which is how my V6 has always been set to): Picture is nice and crisp on HD channels (BBC ONE HD/ITV HD) but not so crisp on SD channels which have a certain fuzziness!. VM Home screen menu has the same clarity as before. No visible changes to screen picture vs previous 20.8.1RC11-VMB-11-C68 firmware.

2. Set the V6 to 2160p, 1080p and 720p. (I don't use streaming apps with the V6 so the 'Passthrough' options don't get used). Picture is exactly the same when viewing HD and SD content when comparing it to point 1 above. There is a very slight 1 second black screen delay when switching between SD and HD channels. VM Home screen menu and Guide is noticeably sharper - other  than this, no other visible changes to screen picture vs previous 20.8.1RC11-VMB-11-C68 firmware.

3. Set the V6 to 2160, 1080p, 720p and 576p. Same as point 2 above apart from the VM Home screen menu and Guide are now a much lower resolution and have much degraded in clarity with text having jagged edges (almost looking pixelated in places).

Conclusion for my TV - seems that the scalers in my Samsung vs the scalers in the V6 are pretty much on par with each other with not many differences between the two. Didn't manage to test out any UHD content - probably will do that tonight and report back! Feel free to give me any pointers on my tests above!

ozsat
Wise owl
Message 15 of 44
Flag for a moderator

I would still enable passthru as I think a lot of the Catch-Up and OnDemand may be treated that way.

The V6 menus do look far better when the V6 box outputs as 1080.

@deans6571 wrote:

@ozsat wrote:

The new software currently rolling out on V6 boxes sees the return of resolution switching depending on content. Version starts 20.9.1.rc2

This resolution switching used to be an option on the V6 but was removed a few updates ago.

But now back is the option to select multiple resolution options.

So you can select 2160, 2160 passthru, 1080 and 576p. Then the channel you select will be output by the V6 at the resolution it is broadcast in - and your tv will do the upscaling.

Most tvs (it is not the V6) will have a short video blank-out during the resolution change - which is normal.

But now it is the customer's choice. Either let the tv do the upscaling and get a short video blankout - or stick with the single resolution setting on the V6 and leave the upscaling to the V6.

I've opted for the settings 2160, 2160p passthru and 1080p.  Seems to give the best balance of good picture and rare blanking.

My V6 updated last night to 20.9.1.rc2 so tried out the settings with the following results (tested on my 4K/UHD Samsung 50" MU1620) :

1. Set the V6 settings to 2160p and 2160 Passthrough (which is how my V6 has always been set to): Picture is nice and crisp on HD channels (BBC ONE HD/ITV HD) but not so crisp on SD channels which have a certain fuzziness!. VM Home screen menu has the same clarify as before. No visible changes to screen picture vs previous 20.8.1RC11-VMB-11-C68 firmware.

2. Set the V6 to 2160p, 1080p and 720p. (I don't use streaming apps with the V6 so the 'Passthrough' options don't get used). Picture is exactly the same when viewing HD and SD content when comparing it to point 1 above. There is a very slight 1 second black screen delay when switching between SD and HD channels. VM Home screen menu and Guide is noticeably sharper - other  than this, no other visible changes to screen picture vs previous 20.8.1RC11-VMB-11-C68 firmware.

3. Set the V6 to 2160, 1080p, 720p and 576p. Same as point 2 above apart from the VM Home screen menu and Guide are now a much lower resolution and have much degraded in clarity with text having jagged edges (almost looking pixelated in places).

Conclusion for my TV - seems that the scalers in my Samsung vs the scalers in the V6 and pretty much on par with each other with not many differences between the two. Didn't manage to test out any UHD content - probably will do that tonight and report back! Feel free to give me any pointers on my tests above!

Superuser
Superuser
Message 16 of 44
Flag for a moderator

@ozsat wrote:

I would still enable passthru as I think a lot of the Catch-Up and OnDemand may be treated that way.

You need pass through enabled for apps such as Netflix, YouTube etc to handle their differing frame rates on content.

As far as I know all On Demand from Virgin Media themselves will display correctly without the pass through options being enabled.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
ozsat
Wise owl
Message 17 of 44
Flag for a moderator

And Amazon? Smiley Wink

@BenMcr wrote:

@ozsat wrote:

You need pass through enabled for apps such as Netflix, YouTube etc to handle their differing frame rates on content.

As far as I know all On Demand from Virgin Media themselves will display correctly without the pass through options being enabled.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 18 of 44
Flag for a moderator

For Amazon Prime, you select the display resolution. I chose 1080p@60Hz on my Fire TV stick and I get content sent to my TV at 1080p60, not a problem for a European TV as they can all deal with both 50Hz and 60Hz sources.

However, when the Prime app comes to the V6 there will be a forced scaling of any 60fps source to 50fps as the V6 cannot pass through this type of source.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
deans6571
Problem sorter
Message 19 of 44
Flag for a moderator

...what's the betting that the next firmware breaks what 20.9.1.rc2 has fixed?!!! Smiley Very Happy

Superuser
Superuser
Message 20 of 44
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

For Amazon Prime, you select the display resolution. I chose 1080p@60Hz on my Fire TV stick and I get content sent to my TV at 1080p60, not a problem for a European TV as they can all deal with both 50Hz and 60Hz sources.

However, when the Prime app comes to the V6 there will be a forced scaling of any 60fps source to 50fps as the V6 cannot pass through this type of source.

I believe that as long as the appropriate pass-through is enabled then any 60Hz scaling from apps is to 30fps - so should avoid any odd scaling issues that you get from 60Hz > 50Hz.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos