cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Years Of Asking For CNN in HD

Pete_Notts
Up to speed

In this day and age we are all more than ever wired to the news.

When it comes to the US..we are all more tuned in for a litany of reasons...now more than ever.

Yet you have HD options for obscure channels, that nobody truely watches..like Comedy Gold, NHK World Japan, F24EngHD, Bloomberg TV HD

Sure.

Keep those 'low interest' HD channels if you deem them worthy..

*BUT* add a channel that truely matters to discerning customers with an IQ in excess of their shoe size..

In these uncertain times, I know that I..and others..look towards BBC News 24 HD, Sky News HD..and then for the real US insight, we go to CNN - which you still resolutely refuse to offer in HD. A channel that actually matters, vs the comedy and old age sites :-((

Give us CNN in HD please. Your more intelligent customers would be grateful..even if not always agreeing with opinions on said platform. It's an excellent channel for keeping us informed of what is happening in the US...arguably more useful than rewatching episodes of 'Only Fools And Horses' endlessly.

Take Care

Pete

26 REPLIES 26

Some of the comments you make though... You are creating arguments to which I have not disagreed, nor made a point of. 

Of course it is a one way decision as to whether they provide a service to ANY party. That is the same for ANY company and individual on the planet. 

Your insider contacts are absolutely neither here nor there. 

The business world works by a service being demanded and then a decision being made whether it is worthwhile. 

That is what the point of the post is. 

And it is also why your initial reply and subsequent replies therein are redundant. 

This forum does sometimes feel like it is filled with knowitalls who don't actually care about helping but are trying to be 'right'. Your posts in particular on this thread and others is testament to that. 

There's speculation this is finally coming this year.  Virgin Media and Turner (parent company of CNN) struck a new carriage agreement last year which enabled the  launch of  the CNN app on the new Horizon/Virgin TV 360 platform (not available on Tivo) so as part of the new agreement the HD channel will hopefully launch sooner than later.

It is no longer a Sky exclusive 

That was an unexpected late night encouraging post 🙂

Don't worry, I won't ask how you've come by this info - instead I will hope that it does actually come to fruition.

I do love our own homegrown news channels on the Beeb, Sky, ITV, Ch 4, Ch 5 ..BUT..for US driven content, where they also give a counter perspective so often on UK news - I've always enjoyed watching it, and very much still do.

Apologies if my post initiated unintentionally a little bit of rancour - though it was intriguing to read. I hope everyone is still friends, and agreed to disagree on the more detailed aspects regarding this. And hey don't worry - I won't be posting a thread tomorrow asking why QVC isn't in 4k..😄

Meanwhile a new truely aggravating element presents itself. At first I thought it was my TV..but trial and error excluded that. HDMI 1 is my 4k player. 2 is my soundbar. 3 is my V6 box, and 4 is my home CCTV

If I spend any shortish time..an hour or more..watching discs, then when I switch back to HDMI 3..ie my V6 box - it's simply not there. I have to turn off the box and/or disconnect and reconnect at the mains. The same if I switch off the V6 box and use the TV apps - usually Youtube..that's the only social media I have, given my utter disdain of social media as a whole. *This is an aside, and NOT pertinent to the post I should acknowledge..!!*

Anyways, I'm not about to initiate further dischord at this lovely lycanthropic hour - instead I will grab another hot toddy, hit the hay and thank everyone for taking the time to reply. My grumpy old dog thinks we're married, and comes in with a dirty look periodically..*sigh. He is a comedian though haha - and I am a consummate waffler.

Take Care Please 🙂

Pete

I admit I had sneakily been hoping for access to CNN HD in advance, and ready for next weeks live inaugration. Not a biggie in the scheme of things obviously. SD will tell me the same, as will other news channels.

I'd still like the HD option available on VM if possible somehow..because us Brits do love our news..and as said previously..there are so many HD channels, which must struggle to get a dozen viewers a day :--))

We are all..mostly..though, news fiends. It will arrive no doubt..though I suspect I will be slightly deceased when it does. Wish it could be sooner mind 😉

Tonight, my CNN VM channel tells me that CNN will no longer be available after Tuesday next week (31st August). So, not only no HD, but no SD either!

'Tonight, my CNN VM channel tells me that CNN will no longer be available after Tuesday next week (31st August). So, not only no HD, but no SD either!'

they have left bt already and will leave sky when their contract ends. like many channels they see money elsewhere in a separate subscription form. disney was just the start.....

I believe that they've got their own streaming service. I read somewhere that it'll be just that service only in the UK at some point