cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

+1 channels have jerky picture

Messybeast
Up to speed

All my real time channels have a smooth picture, but the +1 channels are jerky. Sound is fine. Looks like some sort of refresh rate issue. The fact that only +1 channels are affected but others are fine indicates a problem with the feed and not with my box. 

12 REPLIES 12

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

TV channels aren't carried over VM's network in the same order as their EPG positions, so although I can understand where you're coming from - the logic doesn't hold up to this necessarily being a signal issue.

Can you be specific about which channels are problematic? If the source feed from the broadcasters is the cause, it would affect all VM customers using the same source/fed from the same headend - which part of the country are you in?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I am in Essex. Channels I have noticed to be affected are those with the '+1' suffix, e.g ID+1, History+1, NatGeo+1, Crime&Investigation+1. Their real-time equivalents are unaffected, but the +1 (i.e. hour delay) versions have poor refresh rate on the image). I know nothing about EPG positions, can you decode acronyms please?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I doubt them being a +1 channel has anything to do with the issue. What all +1 channels have in common is that they are all broadcast in standard definition (576i), which the Virgin box then upscales to HD if you have an HD TV connected. So, do all other SD channels have the same issue? If they do then change the box output resolution to 576i & see if the issue disappears with the TV doing the upscaling. If this resolves the issue then the box is at fault. If it does not then the TV itself is the issue.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

576i is not available because this format is not supported by my HDTV. But it is only the +1 (hour delay) channels that are an issue, all other channels are fine with no jerky motion. This only started recently.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So you have issues with 114 but not 115. Have issues with 116 but not 117. Is that correct?

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

EPG is the "Electronic Programme Guide" - the onscreen TV gude.

I think I know where @nodrogd is going with their line of questioning, and if I'm right - then my question in the previous post asking for specific channels would also help.

If you have a frame rate/picture resolution issue, then all SD channels would be affected. If it's a signal issue, then the channels would follow individual multiplexes and be seemingly (but not actually) random. If it's a broadcast source problem, then everyone on the same headend would be affected.

No, I have an issue with ID+1, but not with ID (for example), +1 being the hour delay version of some channels. ID is on 168, ID+1 is on 173 for example.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Messybeast wrote:

No, I have an issue with ID+1, but not with ID (for example), +1 being the hour delay version of some channels. ID is on 168, ID+1 is on 173 for example.

Do you have issues with any of the following SD channels... ?

Animal Planet +1, Discovery Science +1, DMAX, DMAX+1, Pick TV, QVC Style, The Box or Box Hits?

I haven't checked, these are channels I don't often watch. But the really odd thing is that this morning (Tuesday) the +1 channels I mentioned are no longer jerky. I haven't rebooted anything or changed any settings.