cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi 2nd tv box.

ravram
Joining in

Engineers unable to install 2nd tv box upstairs with coaxial cable .

Is there a 2nd tv box with wifi only connection 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

roy247
Community elder

If they were using a decent voltage / metal detector I would have thought they would have found some where near to where you wanted the cable to come in. You might need someone with an insight to what the engineer is allowed to do in these circumstances, maybe wait for an answer from @nodrogd. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, all Virgin Media TV boxes require a co-ax connection to deliver the live TV feed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

roy247
Community elder

@ravram wrote:

Engineers unable to install 2nd tv box upstairs with coaxial cable .

Is there a 2nd tv box with wifi only connection 

How high is the upstairs, I believe the engineer can go to a normal (what's normal), first floor. I have a cable going to a bedroom upstairs.

The problem was that we have electrics in the wall that the wire was going to have to come in and so they were afraid to drill through

roy247
Community elder

If they were using a decent voltage / metal detector I would have thought they would have found some where near to where you wanted the cable to come in. You might need someone with an insight to what the engineer is allowed to do in these circumstances, maybe wait for an answer from @nodrogd. 

They used I think a voltage meter .The tV is in a room with fitted cupboards so limited area where they can bring in the cable and they said using the Meyer it was risky brining the cable through there apparently we can authorize but at our own risk .

roy247
Community elder

Hi ravram,

Well if you have limited access and it's near the ring main I suppose it does make sense not to drill through any cables.

As there is no wifi only 360 box available an alternative method of getting a cable to where you want would be to run some trunking under the floor with a pull cord inside to where your coax comes into the house so it can be split at that point or even to a more accessible point in the room you want the second box.

But I realise this may not be possible

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It may be that @nodrogd is able to add something here. Hope they don't mind the alert.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I cannot really add to what has already been said.

V360 boxes are broadcast receivers. The channels are broadcast down the coaxial cable, so a direct connection to it is a requirement. Most DIY stores sell cable finders, that can detect cable & pipes in walls. If a route cannot be found that is suitable then there is no point renting a broadcast box.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Thanks for your advice