cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why do my 360 boxes need to on for me to record

headchef2112
Tuning in

For me to record recently i have found that i require to have both boxes turned on for me to do so. Surely this cannot be right?

5 REPLIES 5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @headchef2112 

You can set up and watch recordings on the mini box in the same way as the main box. However, the main box is the only one with a hard drive so if the main box is switched off or uncontactable at the time the mini will schedule the recording as soon as the main box comes back online

Go to Settings > System > Standby power consumption. You have 3 choices.
Fast start  - the 360 starts quickly but is less energy efficient
Active start - more energy efficient than fast start but the box takes a little longer to start up
Eco start - the most energy efficient and probably the one you're using. It uses minimal power but takes a while to start.
The first two options are best if you have a mini box and want to watch a recording on it

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Dave,

thanks for your reply, Ive got two 360 boxes and the problem is still the same after following your advice. I still need to have both on if I want to schedule a recording. Is this because there is no primary box because they are both 360?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @headchef2112 

If you don't have a mini box then both boxes are main boxes and you should be able to record on either box as they will both have hard drives, providing the box you want to record on is switched on.

One box will be the default box and the other a secondary box in regards to recording.

I hope the following helps going forward.

When setting up a series link go to advanced and select which box you want the recording to be made on. It will then be recorded on that box going forward, even if the default recording box is the other one.

So all you need to do is reset your series links to record on the box you want them to. Unfortunately to reset the links, you'll need to delete and reset.

You can also use the same method to record individual programs rather than series.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Cheers 

That seems to have sorted it, however unsure why the what we call secondary box seems to be the primary one all of a sudden,

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @headchef2112

Welcome back to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am glad to hear that your recording issue has been sorted. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M