cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrading v6 box to 360

SonarUK
Rising star

I cant access my offers page.

Can a forum team member look into this for me? (my details are link to this forum acc)

If i request to upgrade to v6 360 is there a charge?

https://twitter.com/SeriousFamily

Gig1 | Hub 5 Modem Mode | Asus RT-AX86U | Asus RT-AC86U
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi SonarUK,

Unfortunately you need to contact VM directly as the Forum Team don't have access to enable them to change your package. 

Have you tried the link on the following page? virginmedia.com/tv/virgin-tv-360/upgrade 

You should also check out this page https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-360  which shows how the 360 and also some of the differences compared to the V6.

Please note that if you aren't happy with the 360 you will be unable to revert back to the V6, it's a one way process.

The 360 doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the V6 although it has other improvements.

I'm perfectly happy with my 360 which were converted from V6 boxes, although a good number of people on the 360 forums are less happy that some of the features they use aren't replicated on the 360.

I'm unsure of the cost involved now however when I processed my regrade there was a charge of £25 for the new remotes.

It also might be worthwhile calling  150 from a Virgin landline or mobile, or 0345 454 1111, options 1,1,4 and 4 Retentions (thinking of leaving us)  The best time to call is between 8am and 10am to avoid call queues, or late afternoon around tea time

Retentions (thinking of leaving us) are generally based in the UK, and have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibilty, along with a larger range of discounts than the front line agents. Hopefully you can negotiate a deal with them that's suitable to your pocket and needs in exchange for a new contract

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi SonarUK,

Unfortunately you need to contact VM directly as the Forum Team don't have access to enable them to change your package. 

Have you tried the link on the following page? virginmedia.com/tv/virgin-tv-360/upgrade 

You should also check out this page https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-360  which shows how the 360 and also some of the differences compared to the V6.

Please note that if you aren't happy with the 360 you will be unable to revert back to the V6, it's a one way process.

The 360 doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the V6 although it has other improvements.

I'm perfectly happy with my 360 which were converted from V6 boxes, although a good number of people on the 360 forums are less happy that some of the features they use aren't replicated on the 360.

I'm unsure of the cost involved now however when I processed my regrade there was a charge of £25 for the new remotes.

It also might be worthwhile calling  150 from a Virgin landline or mobile, or 0345 454 1111, options 1,1,4 and 4 Retentions (thinking of leaving us)  The best time to call is between 8am and 10am to avoid call queues, or late afternoon around tea time

Retentions (thinking of leaving us) are generally based in the UK, and have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibilty, along with a larger range of discounts than the front line agents. Hopefully you can negotiate a deal with them that's suitable to your pocket and needs in exchange for a new contract

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

tried that upgrade page.

both options give another page saying they cant upgrade and to call in.

will give them a call at some point.

the features the new firmware offers seems minor difference - I already own the v6 box.

https://twitter.com/SeriousFamily

Gig1 | Hub 5 Modem Mode | Asus RT-AX86U | Asus RT-AC86U

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@SonarUK  You never 'own' any of the kit supplied by Virgin Media, you rent it for the duration of your contract.

You should do extensive research before opting to change from the TiVo firmware to the 360 firmware.  There are significant differences between the two different systems.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@SonarUK wrote:

the features the new firmware offers seems minor difference - I already own the v6 box.

@SonarUK  I'm going to echo Graham_A's comments here, with the addition of mentioning that VM's online "upgrade now" instructions can't be expected to highlight potential downsides of the new software.

There are some aspects that are new, but significant functional differences between the TiVo/V6-software that you're used to, and the Horizon/360 software. If you make a "quick" decision to migrate but then don't like it, you can't revert.

Do your research first, and whatever you decide - do it on an informed basis.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

The difference between V6 and the 360 is simply that the 360 is faecal matter.

It's £24.95 for activation of the 360 service.

VM don't charge for hardware, they just charge you for activating it and installing it, as it's their own kit, and you return it when you leave.

@SonarUK wrote:

tried that upgrade page.

both options give another page saying they cant upgrade and to call in.

will give them a call at some point.

Like the others are saying, there are some feature that the Tivo software has, that are missing, which some people think its the end of the world, but the overall UI is far better once you have played around with it and work out how to set things up.

One thing you will see on this forum is people complaining about the series link, it woks absolutely fine if you set it up correctly, it just that people don't investigate all the options before pressing record!

I also noticed that you have you hub in Modem mode, this could be one reason why you get an error, also if you have two boxes, one a V6 and the other is an old Tivo then that will cause the error.