cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgraded v6 to 360 and picture quality is poor

cdelly
Joining in

20210727_183842.jpg

The picture above, is prime direct on my Samsung TV.

The picture below is via the 360 box. the 360 seems to change the picture every 2 to 3 weeks. I then have to reset the box umpteen time before it rectifies this.

Yesterday, I left the 360 on whilst watching prime via the TV, the box seemed to reset itself, but this morning was back to this again.

I have changed the hdmi's around, had it directly to the tv to no avail. Funny how the mini box has never had any problems 

20210727_183454.jpg

41 REPLIES 41

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm struggling to see anything glaringly wrong with those images, but I presume it's an issue with the resolution. What's the model of your TV, and is an HD or 4K/UHD one?

When you say "the 360 seems to change the picture", what do you mean?

Is this only a problem with the Prime streaming app? Do you have issues with other streaming services, OnDemand or live TV?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

it's on all channels when it decides to do it.

the reds are too bright, the clarity isnt as clear as it should be.

the bottom picture the reds are too bright, the pictures are so different

it's nothing to to with resolution, doesnt matter if set to 4k/auto/1080p 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The 360 main box Prime picture looks better to me, more sharper and deeper colours than the picture direct from the Samsung TV.

When you say the 360 resets itself, do you mean it closes down and restarts?

What power settings are you using on both 360's?

Go to Settings > System > Standby power consumption. You have 3 choices.
Fast start  - the 360 starts quickly but is less energy efficient
Active start - more energy efficient than fast start but the box takes a little longer to start up
Eco start - the most energy efficient and probably the one you're using. It uses minimal power but takes a while to start.
The first two options are best if you have a mini box and want to watch a recording on it.

You say you have have changed the HDMI's around. Do you mean you've tried different HDMI cables, or have you also tried different HDMI ports?

Also have you tried swapping the boxes around?

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

the reds are too bright. it's not as clear

taken yesterday

1st one, was taken before i started watching Prime directly via the TV. the 2nd was when i switched it back to the 360.

I have changed the hdmi's (better quality cables and cheap ones) changed the imputs. Change the resolution on the box . the box starts up in eco mode.

the box has been fine for 2 weeks then the picture changed into too bright reds again. it seemed to reset (no factory reset or power on/off). again today the reds are too much.

20210726_100023 (1).jpg20210726_102232 (1).jpg

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Re your latest post showing the red and blue colours. Personally I prefer the colours on the top picture which I imagine is your 360 showing ITV HD.

So it looks to me as the colours being too bright aren't just affecting the Prime app.

I don't have a Samsung, my main TV is currently an LG, also have Toshiba  and Hitachi. I use different picture setting modes on each TV eg Sports  mode, Filmmaker mode, Ultra HD Deep colour, depending on the type of program I'm watching ie Live Sport, Movies, Nature Documentaries. I also have my TV's set to dynamic and vivid (just my personal preferences) but it may be worth your while experimenting with your TV's different colour settings.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

i did say that it was on all channels.

the 360 was left on and the picture normallized whilst watching Prime directly to the TV.

I have play around with the colour setting, used game mode, used cinema mode.

the picture is still not right, the last time it lasted for a length of time , i had to factory reset the box umpteen times and it seemed to correct.

The mini is on a panasonic and yes it is on a different picture set up because its a different make a of tv

TouchingCloth
Up to speed

I have to agree with the origional poster, the colours from the 360 box are way too saturated. They dont look crisp to me and I prefer people to look natrual, not badly sunburnt with high blood pressure.  That said, we all have different tastes and so are our eyes.  Never mind what we individually prefer, his/her box is obviously faulty if it keeps changing it's output. Several resets to rectify the problem is more than one too many. If the box was consistently outputting the oversaturated picture, it would probably be possible to replicate the preferred settings on the 360's input but it's not. 

The tedious call for help, check the cables, switch off, wait a min, switch on, we're checking your connection, all seems fine blah blah blah seems your next option. 

It doesn't matter if i like the reds high or low, the fact the box changes the colour output is worrying.

Again tonight watched via Prime and the colours seem to have corrected themselves again.

This is not right, not once did i have to reset when it was just a lowly v6 box

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@TouchingCloth wrote:

The tedious call for help, check the cables, switch off, wait a min, switch on, we're checking your connection, all seems fine blah blah blah seems your next option. 

Or wait around here for forum staff to pick this thread up. Must admit I couldn't see any issue at first glance of the first post (I'll blame bad light), but that second picture from what looks like ITV HD is very telling.

And yes, if the picture output is altering with resets, I'd agree something isn't right. Edit: Out of interest, which SW version is your 360 running on?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks