cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"My channels" and channel numbers

Paul_LFC
On our wavelength

I recently got a package including the TV 360 box, and I'm generally impressed with the software.

I like the idea of the "My Channels" option as it allows me to hide channels I won't watch or don't subscribe to from the guide.

However, there's one aspect of this that confuses me - the box changes all of the channel numbers when using the My Channels option. This means you can't switch to the channel using its usual channel number on the remote.

For example, my current "My Channels" list has 99 channels. If I type "501" for Sky Sports Main Event, this doesn't work. Instead of switching to Sky Sports, it just jumps to the last channel on my list, BBC News, to which it has reassigned the channel number 99.

Is there any way to use standard Virgin Media channel numbers along with the My Channels option? So essentially, just hiding channels you don't want to see. 

5 REPLIES 5

Paul_LFC
On our wavelength

I've been doing some more testing, and things get stranger.

I've discovered that if you're watching a recording or on demand programme, or have paused live TV, then the standard 3 digit VM channel numbers work correctly even in "My Channels" mode, and tune to the right channel (e.g. 501 will tune to Sky Sports Main Event).

If you're watching live TV with "My Channels" active however, these numbers don't work. 501 will instead tune to whatever the last number of your channels is (99 in my case). 

Very strange! It almost seems like it's a bug. 

I've only played with profiles and don't use it, but I thought it was better to create Sports, News, etc, and then you just had shorter lists to look at. I find it just as easy to use the normal shared profile because you either know the channel number you want or use 401 if you want to scroll through the films.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Paul_LFC wrote:

Is there any way to use standard Virgin Media channel numbers along with the My Channels option? So essentially, just hiding channels you don't want to see. 

It's a little more than that though - the profile channel options allows you to choose which channels to show, and also in which order. So if you want you can have ITV higher in your list than BBC, or have Sky Cinema at the top of the list.

If the original channel numbers were preserved in the custom list you could end up with list that was 401,103,101.

So instead you get a 1-XX channel number list for the channels and channel order you've selected.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

thrice
Superfast

By far the simplest way to change to any channel that's not listed as one of your 'my channels' is to press the microphone button and say the name of the channel you wish to watch. Provided you are subscribed to the channel the 360 will change to it instantly and ask if you wish to add it to your favorites when you leave. Magic, and works every time.

RayW2
Dialled in

The simplest (easiest) way is to make use of the 'Profiles' option and select the "Shared"option.

That will switch modes from your personal numbers to the EPG proper.

--

RayW2