cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Channel Failed" issue

soulfulscotsman
On our wavelength

Hi all,

Tonight my TV picture has been breaking up very briefly every 30-60 seconds with a flash of the "Channel Failed" error window, error code CS2004. 

My setup hasn't changed or been touched for months. I've checked all connections are secure. I've rebooted the box and hub. Nothing has resolved.

Service status shows no issues. Before I go down the road of asking for an engineer, is anyone else in London getting the same issue? Is there anything else I can do? (Broadband is unaffected)

Thanks,

Stephen H

32 REPLIES 32

roy247
Community elder

Don't live in London but it may help to know if it's specific channels or all as far as you know for anyone else who has experienced any problems.

It's been on every channel I've watched so far - BBC One (SD and HD), Yesterday+1, NDTV24x7 and Al Jazeera. So I don't think it's channel specific. 

As it happens, it *may* have settled now. I haven't seen it happened for a few minutes now since watching some stuff I've recorded. I'll come back and confirm that later if it's still the case.  

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds like you're describing pixellation and/or poor signal issues, which are two halves of the same coin.

These types of faults - except when they're national and affecting particular channels - tend to be localised and listed on the local status line, 0800 5610061

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hopefully It's just a glitch, and if your service status say's it's ok then it hasn't been logged as being an issue. If the problem persists it will need a call to Virgin to at least run some diagnostics.

The problem is indeed persisting. I just called the service status line and, like the website, it's reporting no issues locally. 

Everything was fine up to this evening. If the issue persists tomorrow then I think I'll need to call. It's really intermittent - maybe not quite as frequent as earlier. TV is watchable, but the pixelation burst / pop up message is definitely irritating. Not sure how this will affect my next recordings on Monday. 

If you haven't already tried doing a factory reset you could try that first before calling virgin. Also did you try running the diagnostics  in Settings, Network, to see if that shows any problems.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@soulfulscotsman wrote:

Not sure how this will affect my next recordings on Monday. 

If a channel is pixellating, recordings of that channel will be equally affected.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

A Diagnostics check in Settings shows "Signal Quality" as "Good". How good is "Good"? Is there a "Very Good" or "Excellent"?

I'd do a factory reset but I assume I would lose my recordings? There are several shows I'd definitely want to get through first. This box is barely three months old (as is my subscription) so these sudden issues are a little perplexing. 

Really appreciate your help so far. I'm hoping it'll all be suddenly fine again tomorrow! 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There is no "very good" or "excellent", if your diagnostics say "good" for signal quality then that's probably not the issue.

Your recordings are safe when you restart a 360.