cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mute / subtitles

Anonymous
Not applicable

MUTE

Why doesn't the mute button work by simply stopping audio being sent from the 360 box to the output device rather than having to be paired with a TV?

I have a selfish reason for wanting it to work that way because in hotter weather I connect the 360 box to a computer monitor because a large TV screen chucks out so much more heat. But the monitor does not have a remote so to turn the sound off I have to reach across and do it manually; no audio coming from the box would save me having to do that (and would probably simplify the 360 box software that implements it).

SUBTITLES
I sometimes use subtitles but not all the time and, since I'm not keen on using speech recognition on any device, I use the menus. So a couple of observations about using the menus that I haven't found in other community threads:-

A) Why are subtitles done on a channel-by-channel basis? If I turn them on/off for one channel and subsequently change channel then I also have to turn them on/off for that one too. In what circumstance does anyone need it set differently for different channels? Surely it should be on/off for all channels.

B) Currently to turn subtitles on/off one has to :-

1 press the ... button
2 select subtitles
3 choose between off and the required language

That 3rd step would be eliminated if the preferred subtitle language was set in the profile settings and then the subtitles option in the ... menu could then just toggle them on/off. Does anyone need subtitles in different languages on different channels? If such a person exists then they'd have to go the profile settings and change it there. I personally find the 3rd step irritatingly unnecessary since I only ever use the same language.

Therefore, from these 2 points , may I suggest that the profiles settings allow a preferred subtitles language to be set, and that the ... button menu option simply toggles them on/off.

6 REPLIES 6

roy247
Community elder

If you go to Settings, Profiles you can turn on Subtitles for every channel and turn them off individually by pressing the info (...) button, AFAIK.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Anonymous 

Have you tried setting up your monitor as a TV device in the 360 settings menu?

For example Settings > Audio & Video > Pair remote with devices > Change TV set up > and  if the monitor manufacturer eg AOC is listed use that.

Admittedly though you would have to change the set up back to your TV when connecting via the TV again

Instead of pressing the contextual button you can also press and hold the speech button and say "subtitles" to turn them on (if they are available) and "subtitles off" to turn them off.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Anonymous
Not applicable

Forget get it, I'll just turn them on/off en bloc from the profile settings.

Anonymous
Not applicable
^was intended as a reply to roy247

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Thanks for the update FlibGibbet,

If you do have any other problems or ned help then just create a new post and we'll do our best to help.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Not a problem FlibGibbet.