Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

interrupted transmission

david340
Joining in

Screen blacks out for a few seconds only several times a day

23 REPLIES 23

Thanks again to my responders. I have just found out something to add to the reply I posted today The blackout does not just happen during an actual transmission, but also when an information page (eg programme description) is on screen. Does this give any clue?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@david340 wrote:

the Virgin box is connected via one piece of equipment along with other leads (speakers, DVD, Cd)

Hi again @david340 

The above sounds like you are using a 4 port splitter which may be causing the blackouts.

Can you remove the splitter and test by connecting the HDMI lead directly from the 360 box to a HDMI port on the TV set ?

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi David,

Just to confirm with this then, you were experiencing the blackouts on the TV before your box was replaced? If you're still experiencing the issue, and you've changed everything other than your own connected equipment, this may be where the fault is. As mentioned by @newapollo, are you able to see if the box still has this issue if the other devices are disconnected?

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Hi Reece and New Apollo,

Sorry to be vague. I don't know what a 4 socket splitter is. The lead from the virgin box is to a large, flat piece of equipment 30x30 cm, with a lot more than four sockets. Only one lead goes from there to the back of the tv with a large square plug and no other sockets visible. The present virgin box was a replacement for the faulty one which was removed because of an acknowledged failure of connection, but it in turn was only fitted on 21st January as part of an upgrade package sold to me by a very pushy online salesman, involving our phones being transferred to O2. Our new tv was not fitted until 24th February and the screen blackouts were certainly evident from then, but were a minor matter compared to loss of connection, which was eventually dealt with on 7th April, but the screen blackouts continued. With all our concerns over not having a service at all the blackouts were overlooked when the last man came. The engineer before him left us a note asking us to note whether the virgin box stayed the same colour during a blackout, or turned back to white. It stayed red throughout, which we mentioned in one of our conversations since.Does this help?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@david340 wrote:

Sorry to be vague. I don't know what a 4 socket splitter is. The lead from the virgin box is to a large, flat piece of equipment 30x30 cm, with a lot more than four sockets. Only one lead goes from there to the back of the tv with a large square plug and no other sockets visible

Can you post some photos?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi david430,

If you can't post any photos do you know the manufacturer and model number of the TV and the mystery box.

Hi,

The tv is a Samsung Qled 4k HDR Model number QE55Q95TAT. It is wired to a Samsung One Connect, fitted along with the tv by Walls [REMOVED], part of the Euronics group. My loudspeakers, cd player and blu-ray player are all wired into the same box. The cd player still  works without a problem (I have not tried the others yet). All four worked together perfectly with the previous arrangement, but that was before both the upgraded Virgin box and new tv arrived.

David.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post.]

@david340 wrote:

The engineer before him left us a note asking us to note whether the virgin box stayed the same colour during a blackout, or turned back to white. It stayed red throughout, which we mentioned in one of our conversations since. Does this help?

Just to clarify this, picture is good and light on the 360 is white, blackout occurs and the light on the 360 turns red, so do you have to turn the 360 box on again or does the light just change back to white and the picture is good again.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@david340 wrote:

Hi,

The tv is a Samsung Qled 4k HDR Model number QE55Q95TAT. It is wired to a Samsung One Connect,

The cd player still  works without a problem (I have not tried the others yet).

Hi again David, thanks a lot for your patience.

I'm not saying the following will work, but it's worth a try. I've just looked at the help page for the Samsung One Connect.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00078931/ 

The VM360 is a 4K device. Have you done the following on your Samsung TV?

You need to enable UHD HDMI Color (Input Signal Plus).

1. Navigate to Settings > General > External Device Manager.

2. Select UHD HDMI Color (Input Signal Plus).

3. You'll see a list of the HDMI ports on your TV. Select the HDMI port that you are going to connect (or have connected) a 4K device to. This will turn the feature on for this port.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hey @david340,

Just checking in to see how you got on? I can see newapollo has provided some info which may be worth trying.

Let us know.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs