cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer missing UHD

dwplease
Dialled in

Saw some similar threads previously but no clear answer. How can I get iPlayer on my 360 box to display UHD content? I can view 4K & HDR on the V6’s Prime Video and Netflix apps, no problem, but iPlayer reports (in iPlayer Help > System Information menu) the screen resolution as 1080p only and does not show the UHD symbol for programmes available in that quality. Playback is then not in UHD etc. Same in normal and Beta versions of iPlayer.

360 box is set to output 4k (not Auto)

360 box is connected to a Denon AVRX2300 receiver

Denon connects to a Philips 7334 TV 

Able to watch the TV’s built-in iPlayer in UHD as a workaround 

58 REPLIES 58

Thanks for the input so far. HLG seems like it may be a relevant angle… 

But I’ve just remembered, does the Eurosport 4k channel (when available) provide HDR via HLG? If so, I’ve def been able to watch that channel in HDR on the 360 box during the Winter Olympics. 

Hi dwplease,

You said in message 14 that you had tried connecting the 360 directly to the TV and still had the problem so I think we can rule the Denon receiver out and try and get the 360 working directly to the TV first and then connect the receiver. 

I have just tried a HD TV on my mini box and get the same results as you, so the app or the 360 box is not seeing your TV as UHD, the 360 must be as you get the 4K resolution setting on the 360, do any of the apps on the 360 play at 4K, if you have Sky Movies UHD on the 360 I assume they play. I assume you will have already tried a different HDMI cable at some point so if it's only the iPlayer app that's left have you tried doing a factory reset of the 360, this will sign you out of iPlayer so you will have to sign in and select the beta version again. This should refresh the app. Select the keep your recordings option when you do the factory reset.

If you can't get the 360 app to work in UHD when directly connected to the TV you won't get it to work through the receiver in my opinion.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@dwplease wrote:

Realised this is the wrong forum, it’s a 360 box. I’ve re-posted it in the relevant area. 

I've merged both threads together.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

roy247
Community elder

@roy247 wrote:

Hi dwplease,

You said in message 14 that you had tried connecting the 360 directly to the TV and still had the problem so I think we can rule the Denon receiver out and try and get the 360 working directly to the TV first and then connect the receiver. 

I have just tried a HD TV on my mini box and get the same results as you, so the app or the 360 box is not seeing your TV as UHD, the 360 must be as you get the 4K resolution setting on the 360, do any of the apps on the 360 play at 4K, if you have Sky Movies UHD on the 360 I assume they play. I assume you will have already tried a different HDMI cable at some point so if it's only the iPlayer app that's left have you tried doing a factory reset of the 360, this will sign you out of iPlayer so you will have to sign in and select the beta version again. This should refresh the app. Select the keep your recordings option when you do the factory reset.

If you can't get the 360 app to work in UHD when directly connected to the TV you won't get it to work through the receiver in my opinion.

Make that message 18 since both threads have been merged.

@roy247 wrote:

Hi dwplease,

Hi, took a couple of days out for sanity but can now report back:

Yes I’m able to view Sky Cinema and Entertainment UHD On Demand on via the 360, with 4K SDR image displayed (not aware of HDR being provided from Sky at present?). 

Tried connecting the 360 directly to TV, on multiple of HDMI inputs, but results the same - able to view  4K HDR via Prime & Netflix apps, but iPlayer (likely related to HLG format) will only play in HD/SDR.

Have also tried a factory reset as suggested, sadly no change. 

HDMI cables all labelled as High Speed, shouldn’t be any issue there. 

Still have the built-in Android TV iPlayer app so can use that workaround for now, would be good if the 360 box worked with BBC UHD though. 

Am I right in thinking that the iPlayer Beta was previously required for UHD but now the standard iPlayer version supplies UHD? It does on the built-in player. 

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions so far btw. 

Hi,

Hope your head has cleared up, regarding the HLG format thing your TV support's HLG and plays iPlayer with the inbuilt app so unless their is a bug with the hdmi inputs I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem but check for software updates for the TV. 

Any chance of trying another TV connected to the 360 that would prove either the 360 or the TV is causing the problem or just a mismatch.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @dwplease,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm very sorry to hear that you've been having some issues with viewing UHD programmes on iPlayer. 

I can see that a lot of our amazing Community Members have been able to assist with your issue and that you've had some success in viewing programmes and shows in UHD. You can take a look at our UHD page on our website for more information about this.

Can you tell us what you're having issues viewing in UHD? We'll do all we can to help and assist.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Paulina,

I’m unable to view iPlayer programmes in UHD.

All other apps and Sky On Demand, BT Ultimate and Eurosport 4K are showing correctly. iPlayer only provide HD for UHD shows. I can view them in UHD via the TV’s built-in iPlayer app, via Android TV. 

Thanks

I am sure you have checked but is the 4K signal on the Denon set to Enhanced.

Mine was on Standard and as soon as I changed this to Enhanced I got the UHD badge appear on iPlayer through the 360 box.

@dwplease wrote:

Good idea but no difference connecting 360 directly to the TV.

Denon manual states all inputs support HDCP 2.2, the iPlayer app via 360 is the only source which doesn’t support 4k. Xbox Series X, Apple TV 4K both working fine. 

I am sure you have checked but is the 4K signal on the Denon set to Enhanced.

Mine was on Standard and as soon as I changed this to Enhanced I got the UHD badge appear on iPlayer through the 360 box.