cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer missing UHD

dwplease
Dialled in

Saw some similar threads previously but no clear answer. How can I get iPlayer on my 360 box to display UHD content? I can view 4K & HDR on the V6’s Prime Video and Netflix apps, no problem, but iPlayer reports (in iPlayer Help > System Information menu) the screen resolution as 1080p only and does not show the UHD symbol for programmes available in that quality. Playback is then not in UHD etc. Same in normal and Beta versions of iPlayer.

360 box is set to output 4k (not Auto)

360 box is connected to a Denon AVRX2300 receiver

Denon connects to a Philips 7334 TV 

Able to watch the TV’s built-in iPlayer in UHD as a workaround 

58 REPLIES 58

dwplease
Dialled in

Saw some similar threads previously but no clear answer. How can I get iPlayer on my V6 box to display UHD content? I can view 4K & HDR on the V6’s Prime Video and Netflix apps, no problem, but iPlayer detects the screen resolution as 1080p only and does not show the UHD symbol for programmes in that quality. Playback is then not in UHD etc. 

V6 box is set to output 4k (not Auto)

V6 is connected to a Denon AVRX2300 receiver

Also, tried iPlayer in both Standard and Beta versions but no difference.

iPlayer System Information reports VIRGIN STB 2018 HUMAX and 1920x1080p resolution.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @dwplease 

There shouldn't be any problems as your TV is listed on https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/uhd-supported-devices/ 

On the VM set top box when you go into iPlayer settings select Try new features in iPlayer Beta, then click iPlayer BETA on the next screen then click the Back button on your V6 remote rather than cloicking exit - this should save the setting.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Do you mean UHD or HDR?  The app always outputs at 2160 and the only thing to show UHD is available on assets is they have a UHD icon within the programme images. Nearly everything on BBC iPlayer is NOT UHD.

HDR will only kick in on selected UHD assets.

In what way is it not working?  Does it not stream at all - or is it streaming but appeares not to be UHD and/or HDR?

UHD and HDR definitely work from the iPlayer on the V6 - just tried it.

It may be worth powering everything off for a minute at the mains - then bring back on with the V6 being last about a minute later.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

dwplease
Dialled in

Ignore reference to V6 above, it’s def a 360 box. 

dwplease
Dialled in

Realised this is the wrong forum, it’s a 360 box. I’ve re-posted it in the relevant area. 

deans6571
Wise owl

@dwplease wrote:

Saw some similar threads previously but no clear answer. How can I get iPlayer on my 360 box to display UHD content? I can view 4K & HDR on the V6’s Prime Video and Netflix apps, no problem, but iPlayer reports (in iPlayer Help > System Information menu) the screen resolution as 1080p only and does not show the UHD symbol for programmes available in that quality. Playback is then not in UHD etc. Same in normal and Beta versions of iPlayer.

360 box is set to output 4k (not Auto)

360 box is connected to a Denon AVRX2300 receiver

Have a read through this lengthy thread to see if anything helps :

iPlayer UHD not working - Virgin Media Community - 4545191

Also - have a look in the iPlayer settings : 

iPlayer app settings > Settings & Help > Video Quality > and select Best Quality

It was the lack of any firm conclusion there that lead me to create this one, thanks though.

iPlayer is set to best quality, it’s the app itself only detecting 1080p output. 

Screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/b8Phg2h showing working Prime & Netflix and iPlayer only detecting 1080p, if that helps. 

@dwplease wrote:

It was the lack of any firm conclusion there that lead me to create this one, thanks though.

iPlayer is set to best quality, it’s the app itself only detecting 1080p output. 

Screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/b8Phg2h showing working Prime & Netflix and iPlayer only detecting 1080p, if that helps. 

Are you actually trying to stream UHD content on iPlayer though - perhaps the content you're trying to watch is not actually in UHD?

Have a read through this which shows the UHD content :

BBC iPlayer 4K (UHD) Guide: How To Watch And What’s On | Cord Busters

Choose one of these shows and see if you are getting the UHD symbol:

deans6571_0-1649155811575.png