cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does the 360 mini need coax connection? or just wifi?

fastboy
On our wavelength

hi all

managed to get my 2 360 boxes activated,downstairs one works a treat and is connected to the coax socket and wifi.

the mini 360 one upstairs is hardwired via ethernet cable but no coax cable as we do not have a coax cable socket upstairs.

when i asked at the purchase time i was told the box was wifi so didnt need another socket

i can see the tv programmes menu but not able to watch live tv  as it comes up with cs2004 error message

we can watch catchup programmes fine.

is it going to need a coax box upstairs fitting and if so how is this going to be managed with covid at the moment,im going to be pretty miffed if it needs another socket fitting as this was the whole idea of having a wireless box.

cheers

david

60 REPLIES 60

Well that’s a shame. VM will be installed in my street in the next few weeks and I was looking to move from SKY Q.  The wireless streaming SKY Q mini box was one of the main reason I moved to a Q setup  No way do I want coax cables running around my house for mini VM360 boxes.   The SKY Q mini box has worked very well, wireless coverage can be an issue for them but easily resolved with extenders.  The VM advertising is suggesting the mini boxes are something they are not.

@Lesliepfl wrote:

The VM advertising is suggesting the mini boxes are something they are not.

This was my point, i commented about several months ago, at the very inception and advertising of the mini box. The marketting implies wireless yet if you argue this with VM forum team they say its not stated as such.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Vip Volt Gig1 with Sky Cinema and Sports UHD
VM Telly Tablet
VM mobile

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Because it's not stated as such... 

Do what I do. Since day 1 of the mini box I have used it on WiFi, without coax.

If I want to watch something live, I start recording it in the guide and after about 5 seconds just start playing the recording.

Not ideal, but a workaround at least...

@DinoParry wrote:

If I want to watch something live, I start recording it in the guide and after about 5 seconds just start playing the recording.

Not ideal, but a workaround at least...

Personally this does not affect me, as I have 2 full v6 boxes upgraded to tv360 so no mini boxes and coax to each full tv360 box. My issue is a general ethical and trust point for all VM customers,  not a direct personal one.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Vip Volt Gig1 with Sky Cinema and Sports UHD
VM Telly Tablet
VM mobile

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DinoParry wrote:

Anytime your mini-box needs to reboot for whatever reason, I'm confident it will fail without a working co-ax.

I suspect as well, anytime there's a change to the EPG - such as the upcoming Sky changes - it could be problematic too.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Been using it like this since December 2020 and never had any issues with software updates or EPG changes... They are done over the internet it seems.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DinoParry wrote:

Been using it like this since December 2020 and never had any issues with software updates or EPG changes... They are done over the internet it seems.

Software & EPG updates are absolutely done over the internet. As is OnDemand & streaming.

Changes to channel numbering, new channel launches, that's not always the same and in the past has certainly been over the co-ax.

As an aside, the non-fault callout charge has recently been reduced to £25, so if cost is the reason for not having extra cabling installed - I'd question the hassle value compared with the previous £99.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Dekenba
On our wavelength

This is a brilliant idea!!

Especially as so many people hardly watch live TV anymore....

Slightly disappointed that new cabling needed for the extra mini boxes - seems that Virgin are missing a trick compared to Sky, and although their marketing doesn't specifically say they're wireless, it also doesn't specifically say they're not wireless, either....

4k on the mini boxes is a bit of a white elephant, since I'd imagine they are used primarily in bedrooms, where smaller TV's tend to max out at 1080 anyway?

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Dekenba wrote:

This is a brilliant idea!!

Especially as so many people hardly watch live TV anymore....

Slightly disappointed that new cabling needed for the extra mini boxes - seems that Virgin are missing a trick compared to Sky, and although their marketing doesn't specifically say they're wireless, it also doesn't specifically say they're not wireless, either....

4k on the mini boxes is a bit of a white elephant, since I'd imagine they are used primarily in bedrooms, where smaller TV's tend to max out at 1080 anyway?

It doesn't say it needs electricity either or a TV attatched...