cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does the 360 mini need coax connection? or just wifi?

fastboy
On our wavelength

hi all

managed to get my 2 360 boxes activated,downstairs one works a treat and is connected to the coax socket and wifi.

the mini 360 one upstairs is hardwired via ethernet cable but no coax cable as we do not have a coax cable socket upstairs.

when i asked at the purchase time i was told the box was wifi so didnt need another socket

i can see the tv programmes menu but not able to watch live tv  as it comes up with cs2004 error message

we can watch catchup programmes fine.

is it going to need a coax box upstairs fitting and if so how is this going to be managed with covid at the moment,im going to be pretty miffed if it needs another socket fitting as this was the whole idea of having a wireless box.

cheers

david

60 REPLIES 60

Yes it does work that way on the mini, you just have to get past the error message about not having your cable connected.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Wether this will work on an un-initialised box is another matter. Part of the setup is an NIT download where the box checks the channel tables it receives against what is transmitted on the coax. This may cause the setup to stall completely. You could of course plug it into the coax temporarily to complete this stage.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Probably better for me to swap out the main box with the mini, switch on and let it do the initial setup before moving it then..

I just swapped out the main with the mini and ran through the initial setup before moving the box to the other room.

Works as expected - no live TV, but apps and recordings work perfectly. 

For any live TV I want to watch (i.e. football when other half wants Holby) I'll start recording it on the main box and then go watch it on the mini...

I think weve come up with a great workaround for those customers without coax and a mini box!!

-------------------------------------------------------------
Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Vip Volt Gig1 with Sky Cinema and Sports UHD
VM Telly Tablet
VM mobile

It works!  You don't even have to use the main box..

1. On mini open the TV guide.

2. Find the live TV show you want to watch.

3. Hit the record button. Doesn't matter what options.

4. Goto saved recordings and select the program you just started to record.

5. Choose to watch from start...

@DinoParry wrote:

It works!  You don't even have to use the main box..

1. On mini open the TV guide.

2. Find the live TV show you want to watch.

3. Hit the record button. Doesn't matter what options.

4. Goto saved recordings and select the program you just started to record.

5. Choose to watch from start...

A brilliant full wireless solution workaround

-------------------------------------------------------------
Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Vip Volt Gig1 with Sky Cinema and Sports UHD
VM Telly Tablet
VM mobile

bluegrunt1
On our wavelength

I don't know about marketing, but I had a call with a VM sales person just last week and they clearly told me that the 360 box did not need to be connected tot he cable in order to use it. Not "marketing" perhaps, but it seems I was lied to. 

Agreed. Thank you for understanding. And thanks to others on this thread for the suggestions. NO thanks to VM for lying to me.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The conclusion is yes you can get away with it until there is another NIT change, & these happen regularly when channels are allocated new muxes.

This will trigger the box to "retune" which again will cause the boot sequence to stall.

You could find yourselves plugging into the coax on a regualr basis in the future.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks