cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does the 360 mini need coax connection? or just wifi?

fastboy
On our wavelength

hi all

managed to get my 2 360 boxes activated,downstairs one works a treat and is connected to the coax socket and wifi.

the mini 360 one upstairs is hardwired via ethernet cable but no coax cable as we do not have a coax cable socket upstairs.

when i asked at the purchase time i was told the box was wifi so didnt need another socket

i can see the tv programmes menu but not able to watch live tv  as it comes up with cs2004 error message

we can watch catchup programmes fine.

is it going to need a coax box upstairs fitting and if so how is this going to be managed with covid at the moment,im going to be pretty miffed if it needs another socket fitting as this was the whole idea of having a wireless box.

cheers

david

60 REPLIES 60

Anonymous
Not applicable
VM can do 4k. Sky mini can't

@Anonymous wrote:
VM can do 4k. Sky mini can't

That is an advantage.

So it's a case of quality over convenience.

In my case it wouldnt gave mattered as the box would be sited in the bedroom I already have extended coax

But the main issue is the implication and mis information that they are wireless and new or upgrading customers are finding out they are not as convenient as they expected as VM staff are mis informing and marketing is misleading in its implication.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Vip Volt Gig1 with Sky Cinema and Sports UHD
VM Telly Tablet
VM mobile

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you show an example of the marketing thats misrepresented? 

roy247
Community elder

It was the way it was advertised, Virgin seem to imply that watching TV everywhere with 360 was something new, the only real difference between TiVo V6 and 360 would have been if the 360 mini was WiFi so you could use it anywhere. You could always watch it everywhere with your mobile and tablet.

@jb66 wrote:

Can you show an example of the marketing thats misrepresented? 

The term stream anywhere in itself implies wireless. 

Here are the examples from virgins site below that imply wireless streaming freedom without directly stating it. It is very clever wording, so when someone like me says there is an implied message of connection freedom which a user assumes means wireless, someone defending can say but it doesnt state its wireless, which I am pre-empting is your response. 

The below statements also imply it is different and better than existing V6, which again leads to assumptions by the customer, when in fact it is the same setup with a less powerful mini box.

"Watch and stream on all your screens"

"Watch in more rooms with 4K-ready Virgin TV 360 Mini boxes"

And further to this, this forum is littered with existing customers either upgrading from a single box package or new customers being told by VM staff that the boxes are wireless only to find on quick startup they need a coax installation.

Also, the volume of new customers who make the assumption that its wireless also tells you the marketting without being direct is convincing people it's a direct competitor to sky q hence wireless by implication 

One final point on virgins clever marketing is the fact they called the second box a mini box just like sky calls its box mini therefore also driving the assumption of a like for like solution with sky q ie wireless.

So in summary when a customer says oh but I thought it was wireless VM can argue that they didnt say it was wireless..  

Not directly no!

I think that answers the question.

Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
VM Telly Tablet
VM mobile

The in your face advertising that was with 360, it was everywhere and it sounded like the mini box could be used with wifi anywhere, but at the end of the day 360 is no better than the V6, and if you were on ultimate oomph before you had 2TB of storage and now you only have 1TB, so in my opinion you are paying the same for less,

There maybe something in the small print at the bottom of the page but if Virgin promise you an upgrade you should expect something better not less for the same money.

I don't want to make it sound like money as I have mentioned it twice, but the upgrade to 360 isn't an upgrade really, it's a software upgrade but where are the upgraded features, I know the one they talk about is voice control, I wouldn't even consider that if I were a first time buyer to Virgin or Sky.

Don't mention the poor series link options now with the inhouse software compared to the tivo software. You would think they would have at least matched what was previously available not make it worse.

I actually dont mind the new software in the way it presents but it does have limitations as already mentioned by many which I hope are resolved.

My issue is the marketting and up sell of basically a software revision and hardware downgrade. 

I fortunately retained my 2 v6's and only hot the software upgrade to them but many others have not been so fortunate

Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
VM Telly Tablet
VM mobile

So can the mini still be used to watch recordings without the coax?

Do the apps still work? i.e. watch "live" tv in bbc iplayer.

My mini box is still in the packaging gathering dust so would be good to use it - most of what I watch is recorded anyway..

@DinoParry wrote:

So can the mini still be used to watch recordings without the coax?

Do the apps still work? i.e. watch "live" tv in bbc iplayer.

My mini box is still in the packaging gathering dust so would be good to use it - most of what I watch is recorded anyway..

I'm making assumptions but I tested those scenarios on my second v6 tv360 box, it's not a mini box, unplugged the co ax and yes I can watch the recordings on the other box and on demand services such as bbc iplayer work as long as wifi  connected. So its worth the unpacking and setting up until you get coax installed

Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
VM Telly Tablet
VM mobile

Sounds promising - thanks jonathanpye.

Will give that a go later today and report back if it also works on 360 mini.