cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does the 360 mini need coax connection? or just wifi?

fastboy
On our wavelength

hi all

managed to get my 2 360 boxes activated,downstairs one works a treat and is connected to the coax socket and wifi.

the mini 360 one upstairs is hardwired via ethernet cable but no coax cable as we do not have a coax cable socket upstairs.

when i asked at the purchase time i was told the box was wifi so didnt need another socket

i can see the tv programmes menu but not able to watch live tv  as it comes up with cs2004 error message

we can watch catchup programmes fine.

is it going to need a coax box upstairs fitting and if so how is this going to be managed with covid at the moment,im going to be pretty miffed if it needs another socket fitting as this was the whole idea of having a wireless box.

cheers

david

60 REPLIES 60

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin don't have wireless boxes. You need a coax connection

fastboy
On our wavelength

hi and thanks for the reply.

well thats not good then since that was the whole purpose of having the second box,the person shoud not have told me that 😞

so what do i do now?

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You could call up to cancel it or see if they can book a manned instalation? 

jonathanpye
Fibre optic

@fastboy wrote:

hi all

managed to get my 2 360 boxes activated,downstairs one works a treat and is connected to the coax socket and wifi.

the mini 360 one upstairs is hardwired via ethernet cable but no coax cable as we do not have a coax cable socket upstairs.

when i asked at the purchase time i was told the box was wifi so didnt need another socket

i can see the tv programmes menu but not able to watch live tv  as it comes up with cs2004 error message

we can watch catchup programmes fine.

is it going to need a coax box upstairs fitting and if so how is this going to be managed with covid at the moment,im going to be pretty miffed if it needs another socket fitting as this was the whole idea of having a wireless connection

Hi there,

On the original thread about 7 weeks ago after I upgraded to tv360 from v6 boxes. I expected a new main box and wireless mini box but simply got an over the wire software upgrade and new remotes During my postings of disappointment  I was informed by VM forum staff that the mini box needs a co ax which surprised me as the implications of a mini box and the marketing terms stream anywhere set an expectation that they were wireless. I stated if I was a new customer I would, by the marketting implications, have an expectation of a wireless mini box and be disappointed if this was not the case 

I was told no where in the marketing stated  the mini box was wireless but that the sky mini was not 4k whilst the VM is 4k and so VM is a preferable option. I though thought about new customers like you get the mini and no where to connect. You have proved my point and I'm sorry you are now in this position.

It wouldnt surprise me if VM now try and charge you (£99)for an engineer call out to install the coax you didnt think you needed.

Best of luck

-------------------------------------------------------------
Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Vip Volt Gig1 with Sky Cinema and Sports UHD
VM Telly Tablet
VM mobile

hi

yes the vm is 4k but the sky one is wireless and no coax needed,had i known this i think i would have gone with sky tbh.

me and my wife are both disabled and spend 90% of our time upstairs,we had the spare bedroom redecorated and big tv put in the and reclining chairs so we can sit in comfort watching tv, rather than downstairs,now we are in the same position as before still not able to watch tv upstairs.

i was definately told it was wireless and i could just put it wherever i wanted on any tv in any room,no mention of a coaxial socket needed ,pretty misleading tbh.

we have 1 coax socket downstairs for the tv and 1 upstairs in the front bedroom which the VM Broadband wifi router is connected to (i checked and its only a single socket) ,i have an ethernet cable running up into the loft from this and back down into the cinema room as i call it and everything plastered over in anticipation of the wireless VM box,gutted is an understatement.

so it looks like im going to have to fork out to pay VM  to fit a box so i can use my tv,but im not even sure in this time we are in they will be able to since it needs fitting inside..

I'm sorry to hear your predicament but if you have a coax socket upstairs you can buy a splitter then have coax connector >splitter>coax to hub and ciax to mini box of each split.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Vip Volt Gig1 with Sky Cinema and Sports UHD
VM Telly Tablet
VM mobile

so does the broadband router upstairs use the same line for the tv then?

so its just a case of getting a splitter then a length of coaxial cable and routing it into the other bedroom somehow?

where would i get splitter from?

Anonymous
Not applicable
you would have to get VM to do this. you are not allowed to modify the coax cabling yourself

fastboy
On our wavelength

ahh..you mean pay £99 for them to refit a box for a product i was missold?

no thanks it can go back,

thanks for the replies