cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I record programmes on the secondary box

gadgie1
Joining in

Hi I'm getting 2 boxes with my ultimate volt package. I know I can record 6 channels at the same time on the main 360 tv box, my question is, Which secondary box will I receive and can I record on to that box the same as the main box. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

New 360 installs have one master box and minis for any additionals, conversions from V6 are effectively masters. A picture of the two... the mini is half the height and doesn't have a hard drive.

No hard drive means no recording - only master boxes can record, mini-boxes use the master for all recording.

1629411602364.jpg

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

jamesredfern
Superfast

You'll get a main 360 box and a mini box.  The recordings are all done by the main box.  If you set a recording on the mini box its is passed to the main box,  Nothing is actually saved on the mini box. When you watch a recording on the mini box, it is playing it from the main box.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The answer depends on whether you are currently a TV customer and, if so, what TV box(es) you currently have.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

gadgie1
Joining in

Thanks for your reply. I have a brand new unopened unregistered 360 box from the last time i had virgin, I wonder if I could use this box instead of the new mini box.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @gadgie1 

The previous 360 box should have been returned to VM when you left.

I'm surprised you haven't been charged up to £100 as per

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/priceguides 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

What happened was I thought a box was faulty and they sent a replacement, but I got the first box working so never even opened the replacement. So I returned 2 boxes and forgot I had the replacement, and was never mentioned. But will it work so I can record on both boxes. Thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

New 360 installs have one master box and minis for any additionals, conversions from V6 are effectively masters. A picture of the two... the mini is half the height and doesn't have a hard drive.

No hard drive means no recording - only master boxes can record, mini-boxes use the master for all recording.

1629411602364.jpg

gadgie1
Joining in

Hi I have signed up with virgin after 18 months with sky. I have a new unregistered 360 box from my previous contract with virgin. What I'd like to know is, if it would be possible to use the unregistered brand new 360 box I already have, upstairs instead of the 360 mini box I will be provided when my contract starts. so I can record on both boxes. Thanks

Hi gadgie, 

Thanks for your post and it's great to hear you're looking at coming back to Virgin Media. 

When signing up, you would be given new equipment. When you were originally sent your old box, this would have been registered on that account. You would have also needed to have returned this to us where the account was closed. 

You will not be able to use this on your new account. 

Apologies. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi, thanks for your reply, The reason I have a new unregistered box is because, I thought my box was faulty but I got it working. In the meantime virgin sent a new box which I never used. When I returned my equipment the two 360 boxes and hub I forgot about the extra box I had and never heard anything from virgin. Would it be possible to register the box I have to my new account if I phone up and give the box information as you can't record on the new mini box, and with my last contract I got two 360 boxes that I could record on.