cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will VM move a coaxial connection box into another room

JanetteS
Dialled in

Hi there,

If a VM connection enters at the front of a mid terraced house (with only front and back external walls), with the TV point coaxial connection on the same internal wall (front room), can this be moved into another downstairs room (back room)?  

Would it mean VM had to run coaxial cable from point of entry all through the front room, round the walls etc into the next room or is there some other way this can be done without visible cables?

Daughter is asking, she's considering buying a mid terraced house but wants to swap the front room TV into the back room.  Any idea if this is possible?  If it does have to be cabled,  would VM run cable under floorboards, drill through to back room etc?

If it turns out the ground floor is concrete, could cabling go up outside front wall and in through upstairs, then under floorboards and back down through ceiling to back room?

Is there another solution?
Any thoughts would really help please.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Others are more familiar with some of the install specifics, but AFAIK most things are possible within the caveat that VM will only work upto first-floor level - they won't go into loft or roof-space.

Presumably this would be a transfer of existing services, but effectively a new install at the proposed property?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Normally the installer will just drill through the internal wall. The cable can normally by run alongside or above the skirting board and hidden inside a cable cover, loads on sale from Amazon, Screwfix, etc. If you want the installation under floorboards the only way to guarantee that it's done this way is to lift them up yourself and put in a rope for the cable to be pulled through from the front to the back of the house.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks for the quick reply.

She would be a new customer of VM, but the current house owners already have VM installed.

It may not even end up being this property she buys. But she's realised it will probably apply whichever mid terrace she buys.

Thanks for your advice re VM not going into loft/roof space.   I'm really hoping it might be possible, to move the box without visible cables.

Any thoughts on whether it would have to be a cable?

Thanks for your help

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JanetteS wrote:

Any thoughts on whether it would have to be a cable?

Put it this way - Virgin Media is a cable operator, and the co-ax is the cable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your quick reply. 

Lifting the floorboards might be something she could consider getting a workman to do assuming the floor isn't concrete!

There's a fireplace to navigate round though, which would look ugly if it has to be surface cabled.

Are there not any non cable alternatives, do you or anyone else know?

Thanks for the advice.

I guess I'm just not sure how helpful, or how much trouble the installer would go to... 🙂

I was wondering if there was any other way...   for example by wifi?  Or some other way to get the signal from the existing box into another room for the TV, or does it always have to be a cable?

Take a look at the big four Pay TV operators.

• VM - coaxial cable for all TV boxes and hub
  • BT TV - coaxial cable from aerial to YouView box plus BT broadband
  • Sky - coaxial cable from satellite dish to main Sky box plus broadband
  • TalkTalk TV - coaxial cable from aerial to YouView box plus TalkTalk broadband

So, no escape from coaxial cable.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks all,

I guess from your replies it has to be cable.

Plenty to think about, and I really appreciate all your advice.

Thank you 😐