cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Sky Sports HD so poor..???!

deans6571
Wise owl

I can't help but say that the quality of watching Premiership football on their so called 'Sky Sports HD' channel is ridiculously poor......

The picture suffers from random poor pixilation issues and also VERY bad motion judder (when the ball travels across the screen, you can clearly see motion judder).

This is not an issue with settings on my 360 box nor is it to do with my TV settings.

In direct contrast to the above, watching Premiership football on BT Sport HD (not the UHD channel) is one thousand times better - the picture is beautifully crisp, bright and vivid and actually looks UHD when compared to Sky Sport HD.....

What's therefore going on with Sky - why are they sending Virgin such  a poor tv feed....???

Royalbeech
Superfast

I totally agree with you, I have been complaining about this for months.

I recon that Sky have reduced the bit rate to allow for the UHD broadcasts, which is still not available to Virgin Media. 

thrice
Superfast

Personally, I have never experienced any of the issues mentioned. The HD picture quality for Sky Sports is similar to that of other HD channels on a large-format OLED set. I only tend to watch some Premiership football and F1 races. I have never needed to adjust the default settings of either the TV or the 360 box and I would consider myself particularly sensitive to picture quality. I am at a loss to think what your problem can be or how it can be rectified.

There is definitely a massive difference. The picture on my old sky+HD box looks 4k compared to virgin. 

I don't know if the area you are in makes any difference. I am in area 21 (London) and have never noticed this problem.

Try watching CNBC then. It's like watching a 20 year old vhs tape. Not really acceptable in this day and age. Not asking for 4k but a decent hd picture.

roy247
Community elder

CNBC is SD not HD.

There's sd and then there's cnbc sd

Have to agree here: CNBC is bloody atrocious, It's like being back in ye old dark ages of B&W TV ...

Several of the 'SD' channels have gone really bad of late.

It's almost as if they are lowering the broadcast signal, to maybe urge customers to buy the more expensive packages. That said, they would need to deliver a lot more 'HD' channels if they went that route, which would undoubtedly force prices up and up.

Bit of a 'no win' situation IMO.

🙄

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

roy247
Community elder

@Cawsie wrote:

There's sd and then there's cnbc sd

Maybe it's as bad as CBS Justice, I hope it's not worse.