cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why have I no SD channels on my 360 box?

Sueg3
Tuning in

New to virgin. I signed up and it said 500 hours of recording space. However my box has no SD channels so I doubt I will get the promised amount of recordings. Is there anything that can be done? We came from sky and their 1tb box certainly held over 500 hours of mixed SD & HD recordings.

Also is there a way to save programmes from being accidentally deleted? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There are several reasons for SD variants being removed. The first is expense. It costs the broadcasters more to provide both. The second is that VM no longer has any nonHD capable boxes on the network.

Transmission bit rates are variable, so the storage will be somewhere between 300 - 500 hours. Also all of the TV streams on VM use the more efficient MPEG4 compression system, which uses less space (Sky use a mixture of MPEG2 & MPEG4).

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There are several reasons for SD variants being removed. The first is expense. It costs the broadcasters more to provide both. The second is that VM no longer has any nonHD capable boxes on the network.

Transmission bit rates are variable, so the storage will be somewhere between 300 - 500 hours. Also all of the TV streams on VM use the more efficient MPEG4 compression system, which uses less space (Sky use a mixture of MPEG2 & MPEG4).

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

roy247
Community elder

Hi Sueg3,

You do have SD channels but with 360 if your contract allows you to have a HD version of a channel you don't get the SD version because everyone wants the better quality version.

There is no deleted folder where you can undelete programmes so be careful when deleting programmes from a series folder because it drops down to the trash can option not the play option so if you are too quick on the OK button then it's gone.

Hi roy247

I appreciate the better picture but as the box at the moment seems to, on a series link, have recorded things multiple times it will fill up quickly especially if you’re on holiday! 

We discovered the hard way on the very old sky + about deleting and put a ‘keep’ on things but that doesn’t seem to be an option either. We’ll just have to be very careful.

All I have to do now is to stop the ghost phone calls with ‘no number’.  It’s very tiring changing suppliers.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Sueg3 wrote:

Hi roy247

I appreciate the better picture but as the box at the moment seems to, on a series link, have recorded things multiple times it will fill up quickly especially if you’re on holiday! 

When you set series links it is better to specify 1) The specific channel you want to record from. 2) New only, otherwise the box will record every occurrence of a programme.

roy247
Community elder

Hi Sueg3,

When setting a series link select the Advanced settings and then select New Only, you also have This episode only, From this episode onwards, All from series xx only, All from series xx and onwards, New episodes only and All available episodes.