cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I have two main boxes

paul435
Joining in

I had a v6 box (my mums downstairs) and Tivo box (mine upstairs) both with HDD, both independent from each other, both with there own password

Got upgraded to 360 and Tivo was replaced with a 360 mini box

I asked for another main box NOT a mini box but still received a mini box, been told by VM you can't have 2 main boxes

But have seen post on here from people with 2 main boxes who already had 2 V6 boxes and just get upgraded so I know it works with 2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you were able to roll back time and start again then you may have ended up with a different outcome.

First, ask VM to change the TiVo box to a V6 box.  Charges and a new contract may apply.

Second, once the TiVo to V6 swap is carried out and provided the contract terms allow you then ask for both V6 boxes to be switched to the 360 firmware.

Clearly this is all academic after the fact, but may be helpful to anyone else reading who is tempted to make the change.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

paul435
Joining in

Hi

How did you get to keep both v6 boxes and not have one replaced with a mini box

Not sure, they just updated both boxes remotely 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@paul435 wrote:

How did you get to keep both v6 boxes and not have one replaced with a mini box

@paul435 

Better to start your own thread for a new question, rather than add to someone elses 😉

Conversion of V6 boxes into 360's is a normal process, but there have been a few posts on here recently where (I'll be generous) "confused" engineers have misadvised people that it can't be done, and where extra "master" boxes have been fault-swapped for minis.

Neither are correct.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@paul435 wrote:

I had a v6 box (my mums downstairs) and Tivo box (mine upstairs) both with HDD, both independent from each other, both with there own password

Got upgraded to 360 and Tivo was replaced with a 360 mini box

I asked for another main box NOT a mini box but still received a mini box, been told by VM you can't have 2 main boxes

But have seen post on here from people with 2 main boxes who already had 2 V6 boxes and just get upgraded so I know it works with 2

It is possible to have two existing V6 boxes switched to the 360 firmware (not an upgrade in my opinion) however this isn't possible for the older TiVo boxes.

With the new 360 hardware you can only have one 'main' box with a HDD. Additional boxes are 360 minis.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

What you're saying is that if I have had 2 V6 boxes before the upgrade I would of kept both main boxes?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@paul435 wrote:

What you're saying is that if I have had 2 V6 boxes before the upgrade I would of kept both main boxes?

Yes, if you had two V6 boxes they could both have been switched to the 360 system.

So why couldn't they have sent me a second main box to replace my Tivo? Instead of a mini box?

When I received the 360 kit (mini & two remotes) I didn't fully read the instructions and installed the mini box first (replacing my Tivo) and then updated the "main" box downstairs , so if I had received a another "main" and installed it also first wouldn't I have ended up with 2 main box that way?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you were able to roll back time and start again then you may have ended up with a different outcome.

First, ask VM to change the TiVo box to a V6 box.  Charges and a new contract may apply.

Second, once the TiVo to V6 swap is carried out and provided the contract terms allow you then ask for both V6 boxes to be switched to the 360 firmware.

Clearly this is all academic after the fact, but may be helpful to anyone else reading who is tempted to make the change.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@paul435 

You'd posted the same question in 2 different threads, so I've merged them together for you.

@Graham_Ahas pretty much said what I was about to - but this is exactly why I would always recommend a TiVo > 360 swap is done as a TiVo > V6 > 360 change, instead of direct.

Unfortunately in your case, it is academic.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more