cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Can't I Record Some Shows?

Poddys
Dialled in

I never used to have this problem on V6 but now a lot of shows don't offer the ability to record them.

For example one I tried to record this evening, The English. I can add it to a watchlist, view the schedule and when and where it's showing (or been shown), but no option to record it.

The other thing that is frustrating is that on V6 you could setup a series link and it would try to retrieve episodes that had already aired, so if you discovered a show when the first 2 episodes had already aired, it would download all of them.

Can anyone explain why this no longer works please?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Did you try to record the series on BBC1?
Try setting the series link on BBC2 which appears to be the primary broadcast channel.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Did you try to record the series on BBC1?
Try setting the series link on BBC2 which appears to be the primary broadcast channel.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you trying to set it from the “Search” option?
This will show the On Demand availability (which you cannot record) as well as the broadcast schedule.

Go to the “upcoming” section in the left menu & it will show you all the broadcast slots, which you should be able to record.

The box cannot “download” shows from OD. It can only record repeats if rebroadcast.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The TiVo© operating system that the V6 uses and the Horizon operating system that the TV360 uses are very different in the way they work.

As ever it is a user choice for existing customers as to which one to stick with, but once the change has been made there is no going back.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I suspect the retrieval of previous episodes refers to the TiVo-software's ability to set a series-link to include recordings & streaming videos.

This puts shortcuts to VoD assets alongside recordings, in the V6 "my shows" list, and gives a seamless experience of VoD alongside recordings.

As pointed out already, TV360 is fundamentally different to V6. I believe that the "watchlist" feature on 360 provides for a similar approach albeit via different keypresses/menus, but others who use TV360 are better placed to advise on specifics.

roy247
Community elder

Hi Poddys,

You can go to the TVGUIDE and set a series link on Thursday BBC2 and use the Advanced options to record All from series 1 and if episode 1 gets repeated again it should record it, if you actually want the series recording.

Or you could just go to iPlayer and watch all 6 episodes in UHD HLG / HDR now.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Poddys 

No need to record. All episodes are available to stream in UHD via the iPlayer app

EDIT - beaten to it by @roy247  

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Ah thank you, that worked, marvellous!

Thanks. Mostly I really like the 360 interface and options, just a couple of things I miss.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The OP originally posted in the V6 TiVO forum. Hence I gave advice based on the TiVO firmware. A V6 that has been migrated to V360 Horizon firmware becomes a V360 box, so the advice given is no longer relevant.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993