cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who to believe? (cs9996)

mikefox
Dialled in

For 2 days we have had a CS9996 error.

The automated helpline (150) said it was a known problem, difficult to fix and no estimate given.

The online status checker confirmed this

Yesterday a text arrived saying problem was fixed.
And the online status checker no longer reported a problem.

However it is still not fixed and 150 still maintains it's a problem.

7 REPLIES 7

mikefox
Dialled in

Just to add

It doesn't seem possible to speak to someone at 150, the only options are

1. To run a test: it reported that my box was offline which it wasn't

2. Book an engineer directly (without speaking to anyone). I am reluctant to do this if it's a known fault

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is that error happening on live TV, OnDemand or both?

If the automated line 0800 5610061 reports no issues, I'd be inclined to believe that - and therefore the issue is likely to be specific to your kit.

P.S. After posting you have a short time to edit your post by choosing "post options" in the top-right and "edit post".

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The automated line 0800 5610061 gives the same message as 150 i.e there is a problem

The service status checker
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/service-status
says no issues

By the way the CS9996 message says there is no Ethernet connection between the Virgin tv box and the hub.

Which means we cannot record programs or use apps.
Live TV is OK and we can watch recordings.

roy247
Community elder

That error code suggests you check your connections, if you still have the problem after that then if you phone 150 and I think if you select the fault option but then don't select any of the options you will be put in a queue to speak to someone, or wait for one of the Forum team to pick this up.

CS9996 error code link.

You could also try resetting your Hub.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It sounds like your 360 is complaining of no Internet connection. That shouldn't affect recordings unless you're using a mini-box. Apps & VoD is expected.

Are your boxes connected using Ethernet or wireless? If Ethernet, try repeating the cables.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

mikefox
Dialled in

Ah, problem solved.

We have a complicated set up in another part of the house with an Xbox and a 4-way Ethernet box and someone
had turned off the box!

But I am still puzzled that the 150 helpline continues to report the error

viz

"We are sorry that you are still experiencing intermittent problems with broadband and tv in the
[xxx] area"

It seemed too much of a coincidence which is why I thought the problem was at the Virgin end.

And there still remains the confusion that 150 says one thing and the service status checker says another.

But at least it's working again.

Thanks everyone for your help.

roy247
Community elder

At least your working now.