cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I upgrade (on Wed) my 2 x V6 boxes to 360 software will I lose my previous recordings?

robigouk
Superfast

both boxes are about 40% full of recordings I'd rather not lose!

Anybody out there who's done the upgrade can confirm what happens? 🙂 

24 REPLIES 24

• I have to admit with the other post here. It’s a poor show there is no migration option. It’s funny that the likes of Apple can migrate any iPhone user data and not have issues..?! 

I guess it’s because the Virgin box pre 360 is fully customisable and you can change everything.. oh wait hang on, it’s locked down so everyone has the same layout and structure! So you couldn’t work out a migration path.. even though the V6 was sold as a totally advanced state of the art machine.. ? I really find it hard to believe.. even having the option to backup to the cloud would not have been too hard surely if you needed to rearrange things ? I’d happily leave it backing up for a few hours to have my favourite tv shows saved. 

I even remember there being a migration too on the virgin website to copy things off from the older box.? 

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You’ve not considered the possibility of the recording format being TiVo proprietary and not able to be converted to whatever the Horizon format is.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

No wonder Virgin are sending out emails trying to persuade people to change. I too have around 140 series links in my list. But it's not just a case of re-creating them all. You can't create a series link for a programme that's not being broadcast currently. I have many 'dead' links in my list that go active again automatically when a new series of the programme is scheduled. I also have many music programmes recorded that I would not want to lose voluntarily. So sorry Virgin. On that basis alone, I won't be taking you up on your offer of this marvellous new platform (which for all its apparent differences curiously still runs just fine on the V6 hardware) any time soon. I suspect that the true problem is that the new platform software was written to run on the V6 with no consideration given to how such things as series links could be migrated, until it was too late ...

So what you're actually saying is that the 360 platform is a downgrade on the already lamentably poor TiVo system ? Why on earth would you write your own platform and give it even less functionality than the current one that you are renting from third party TiVo ? I suppose the next thing will be an email telling us how good the new platform is, and as a result how they're unfortunately going to have to charge us all another three quid a month ...

Good. Coz I will certainly be keeping mine .... To be honest, I can't believe your 'bite the bullet and lose everything' in the same sentence as 'upgrade your experience'. Or perhaps I'm missing something with my understanding of the word 'upgrade'.