cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was todays message

roy247
Community elder

I have just been told by the OH that there was a message on screen this morning, may have mentioned series links, as it wasn't mentioned at the time or fully read 😕, I just put my mini box on and there was no message, looking at the Tvguide it say's from Wednesday local news is on BBC1 HD, is it a case of just resetting BBC1 series links again if you have any.

Thank you,

Roy

28 REPLIES 28

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Domestos wrote:

oh dear, 

That's not happening certainly in the East Midlands any time soon! Some work has been done to put in HD pathways but almost all our kit is SD! Looks like for a large subset of our viewers, we're off the air.

Not according to the BBC's website for East Midlands HD - here's tomorrows listings

https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p09v5563/2022/01/26

So maybe that means it's SD quality on the HD channel

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Yep... Just been to talk to our engineers. Regional News is being upscaled to HD and inserted remotely from Wood Norton. Not sure what it will look like but at least it's still there.

I am in the West Midlands. I am guessing I will be stuck for regional news in London as they already transmit in HD in that region. We will see tomorrow I suppose.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As @Domestos has said, everyone will get their own regional news, just not in true HD to start with. 

It'll be interesting to see if any of the English regions will be in true HD. If I had to guess I'd assume London can already do it but that's speculation.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the studio equipment has not been upgraded then output will be up scaled the same as with any existing SD material is. It is in the BBCs interests not to simulcast both HD & SD forward of the output suites to reduce costs. So you will see the SD channels disappear from VM first, where all the customers receiving equipment is HD as standard. Other platforms will follow during the year.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Just checked the EPG and, yes, Midlands Today is now shown for tomorrow in the BBC 1 108 field. May check in tomorrow to see what it looks like.

I didn't see any message about this. I have known it will change for ages, just didn't know when. Shame they didn't think to send out an email or send a message on the V6. Or even use one of the 4 ad slots on the home screen. This is especially disappointing because of the news about losing series link+ .

1 out of 10 for communication VM.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
As TiVo based boxes work differently to 360, then I don't think there are any preparatory actions that are required.

So it's possible that the messaging will be there tomorrow once the channel changes have happened.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@elfin101 wrote:

This is especially disappointing because of the news about losing series link+ .

As BenMCR has pointed out, this thread is regarding the 360-implementation of the BBC1-HD changes. If you have a TiVo or V6, no changes are required.

I'm not sure what "news" about losing Series-Link+ it is that you're talking about, but there are no changes to the TiVo-software that powers V6 boxes.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks