cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watch from start?

wokelly
On our wavelength

I do not know what box I have, it is the latest one, installed two days ago. The old system allowed me to watch recorded material and stop then watch from the paused point at a later date. The new setup has three options: WATCH FROM START / DELETE RECORDING / EPISODES. If I do not want to watch a whole program and stop during the playing, when I come to watch later I have to fast forward through the already seen bit to get to where I stopped before. Is this a NEW? feature or am I doing something wrong... cos this is set up is utterly hopeless!!

18 REPLIES 18

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It should still work on a recording.

If you haven't watched something then the option is 'Watch from Start'.

However if you've watched something the option will be shown 'Watch' with a little progress bar underneath and which will will give you a 'Continue watching' or 'Watch from start' option. You'll also see the progress bars shown in the list of available episodes

Continue watching should then start from where you stopped.

If you start a recording from the 'Saved' banner it will always default the 'continue watching' if that's available.

They should also show up in Saved > Continue watching

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Refer to Ben's post for how the 360 should work, but...

@wokelly wrote:

I do not know what box I have, it is the latest one, installed two days ago. The old system

Check here - I'd guess the "old system" is the TiVo/V6 (different box hardware, same identical software), the "latest one" will be the 360. Same box hardware as the V6, totally diferent software.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

wokelly
On our wavelength

Cheers,

I just discovered that if you use the onscreen icon in the lower menu and click that it starts from where you stopped watching.?

The option to 'continue watching' is only available up to the scheduled end of a programme (as indicated by a mark in the time bar) - once you pass that point and are watching in the time added to the recording, you can only 'watch again' from start.

This is a big issue for live programmes (e.g. sports) which often overrun past their scheduled end!

wokelly
On our wavelength

What I've noticed is the 'continue watching' facility only works if you have your router on, with wifi beaming. In fact several of the recording and replaying features only work when the router is ON. Funny thing - I keep reading info on how we Brits waste billions of pounds by leaving machinery on standby unnecessarily, and here we have a latest equipment 'updgrade' which only works if a significant implement is humming nonstop in your domestic centre. Unless my system has been installed incorrectly, this is a backwards step in my opinion - a techno friend insists it is due to the media companies' obsessive need to collect information on our personal usage - constantly? But he's crazy...

Hi @wokelly,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am sorry to hear that you've had a bit of trouble with using the TV service recently. Have you managed to resolve this problem, or do you still need some further assistance?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@wokelly wrote:

What I've noticed is the 'continue watching' facility only works if you have your router on, with wifi beaming. In fact several of the recording and replaying features only work when the router is ON. Funny thing - I keep reading info on how we Brits waste billions of pounds by leaving machinery on standby unnecessarily, and here we have a latest equipment 'updgrade' which only works if a significant implement is humming nonstop in your domestic centre. Unless my system has been installed incorrectly, this is a backwards step in my opinion - a techno friend insists it is due to the media companies' obsessive need to collect information on our personal usage - constantly? But he's crazy...

It'll be correct, but it's down to the way the systems are designed

The TiVo system is old enough to have started in the days of analogue dial-up. So it's designed to work offline with 'callbacks' for updates every now and again. Although newer features require a constant online connection, a TiVo based box will still work offline for most core features.

The Virgin TV 360 was initially designed to be a streaming platform so always expects an online connection. In most other countries where it's launched it doesn't have a hard disk. That's specific to Virgin Media UK and Virgin Media Ireland. So there was no need to design offline features when it is designed to never be offline.

wokelly
On our wavelength

So the best thing to do if you value your privacy is leave Virgin? I DO NOT want a constant streaming machine running on my property. George Orwell could not have dreamt up a more invasive, insidious informational system such as Virgin have come to operate. I think it is disgraceful!

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin Media have for many years published a detailed privacy policy making it clear what data they collect and your options available for any opt out of some of this data collection. You can find that here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/privacy-policy

It's always a customer's choice as to whether this is acceptable or not, but the Virgin TV 360 platform has no more or less of a privacy impact to customers that the TiVo platform has.

Both collect data on TV usage that Virgin Media will use to offer content recommendations to customers along with using it to make commercial decisions on the TV service.

Other paid TV providers and streaming providers will collect similar data.