cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin tv 360 box to Sony tv with WiFi?

Kel1124
Tuning in

Hey! I can’t seem to get the tv 360 to start up on my Sony Bravia through WiFi?

I have the internet connected but can’t seem to find the start page?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you.

27 REPLIES 27

What's misleading? 

I dont really see what the issue is.  WiFi, Ethernet and Coax rf connection are not the same things.  You need either a WiFi or Ethernet connection for OnDemand, Apps etc.  The coax needs to be plugged in for live TV and the HDMI needs to be connected from the 360 box to your TV.   

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kel1124 wrote:

I know that is the preferred method. Can it not work without the white coax/Ethernet cable in the tv? It reads as though it can on the set up guide? The cables aren’t long enough to get to the tv ( other side of the room?

Thanks for the replies. 🙂

edit: all cables are correctly installed into the 360 box from the WiFi box (white and yellow)

Can it work without the coax? No. The Live channels are broadcast channels, not IPTV, so just as you cannot use a satellite receiver without connecting it to a dish, you cannot use Cable TV without connecting it directly to the cable. The internet connection for On Demand, EPG & updates IS WiFi so you can do without the Ethernet connection. If you need longer coax then you need an engineer install.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Kel1124

Thanks for your post 

Its all gotten a bit confusing now

Can i just ask if you have been able to view the 360 box on your Tv now?

Gareth_L

Hi,

No I haven’t, I have got the WiFi to the tv and 360 box, but hadn’t been told I needed the white cable to go from the WiFi box to the tv (other side of the room). I thought this could go through WiFi too, a bit like the fire-stick does. We have an engineer coming on I think on Wednesday (I haven’t had any confirmation of this though)

It doesn’t explain the cable needs to go from the WiFi box to the TV directly.

seems a bit pointless that you can connect the 360 by WiFi but the white cable has be in anyway?  

It would be better if the white cable could go straight from the 360 box into the tv.

Thanks for replying Kel1124

The white cable is the one that supplies the 360 box with its signal, channels, information etc 

That is why it needs to go straight in the 360 box and not the TV

The 360 box needs to connected to the TV with a HDMI Cable

Please let us know how the visit goes 

You can check the appointment on your online account 

Gareth_L 

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

IMHO you seem to be misunderstanding and wrongly referring to all the cables.

If the TV 360 has a WiFi connection to the broadband Hub, it does not require a white cable to the broadband Hub also.

The white cable every Virgin cable TV box does require is a co-ax cable to a co-ax wall point.

It is not clear, to me, if this cable is in place.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You keep referring to a "WiFi box", which I presume means your homehub - there's some pictures here if you want to check. This takes your incoming VM broadband connection and then provides either wired or wireless (this is the WiFi) internet connections.

Your 360 needs 3 connections

1: An incoming white coax provides your TV signals, but has nothing to do with the internet or WiFi.

2: An internet connection from your homehub for OnDemand & streaming. A wired connection is preferable given the choice, but if no Ethernet cable is connected, wireless (WiFi) should suffice.

3: An HDMI lead from your 360 to your TV, to show your TV pictures. You can't replace this with wireless.

If your TV has the option to connect to the internet directly for other functions, this has nothing to do with the VM TV box.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A good read of the installation guide may prove useful:

https://assets.virginmedia.com/resources/pdf/TV360.pdf

Apologies, 

So, the white ‘coax’ cable- This has to go into the home hub and into 360 tv box. This one isn’t long enough basically. 

But seems a bit daft as you can connect the 360 to the home hub by WiFi (the same length cable) if it’s at the other end of the room but still have to run a coax around the room for the 360 box for TV.

However it doesn’t explain you still to have to coax in both (not really gaining anything as one wire has to run the length anyway) 

Hope that makes it a bit clearer.