cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin multi room

Jay250318
Tuning in

Good afternoon people 

I joined virgin today after leaving sky after 10 years but we signed up to multiroom for my son gaming room. We didn’t realise you needed a coax cable to make the box work is there any way around this or if not is there a way of getting a connection in my sons room fitted 

many thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you do get any issues with arranging this additional install by phone, then do post back and "we" (any VIP user) can flag this thread up for the staff team to pick up.

Calling in will probably be quicker in most cases - and yes, this does just sound like "crossed wires".

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, there isn't. Virgin Media is a cable TV platform, and the co-ax connection is the cable.

All VM TV boxes need 2 connections..

1: Co-ax cable carries the live TV channels

2: Internet connection for OnDemand, streaming & updates. This comes via your homehub but can be either wired or wireless.

If you don't have a working co-ax connection point where you want to use the multiroom box, then you'll need a manned installation to put the cabling & connections in-place. Did you have VM installed today, or just place the order and have a future installation date?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

No it’s installed today 

it all works fine just we didn’t realise we needed a co ax set up for the other room was never mentioned

so do I need to cancel it then and send box back or can it be sorted 

thank you for you response 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm presuming this was a self-service "Quick Start" installation? In other words, Virgin sent you the equipment for you to install yourself.

If so - your best bet is to call in to VM and request a manned installation for the additional access point to be installed. Either 150 (from a VM phone) or 0345 4541111 (from any other phone). Virgin staff will respond on here if necessary, but it may be quicker for you to call.

stephentucker
Up to speed

@Jay250318 wrote:

Good afternoon people 

I joined virgin today after leaving sky after 10 years but we signed up to multiroom for my son gaming room. We didn’t realise you needed a coax cable to make the box work is there any way around this or if not is there a way of getting a connection in my sons room fitted 

many thanks 

Hi, if you are a brand new Virgin customer then I assume you had an engineer come to your house today to install all the equipment from scratch? If so, any multiroom mini boxes should have been fully installed with all necessary cabling at the same time. It makes no sense that it wasn't. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@stephentucker 

Not necessarily, there are 2 types of install available.

1: Self-serve "Quick Start" where VM supply the equipment that you install yourself.

2: Engineer/manned installation where the tech attends and supplies/fits everything.

I would agree that a manned installation avoids issues such as this, but a self-serve "Quick Start" can sometimes be quicker if you already have the requisite connections in-place

@japitts wrote:

@stephentucker 

Not necessarily, there are 2 types of install available.

1: Self-serve "Quick Start" where VM supply the equipment that you install yourself.

2: Engineer/manned installation where the tech attends and supplies/fits everything.

I would agree that a manned installation avoids issues such as this, but a self-serve "Quick Start" can sometimes be quicker if you already have the requisite connections in-place

Hi thanks, I wasn't aware that new customers got self installs. Seems odd to me, relying on a brand new customer who has spent the last 10 years with Sky to know what cabling to use and that it definitely suits their needs. One can only assume the previous occupants had virgin and the cabling is still intact but it must have come up in the conversation when ordering that new cabling was required for the mini box. Like I say, none of it really makes sense. 

It will be interesting to get clarification from the OP.

Thank you both for your information and responses

and yes was quick start as the person said it was quicker it was my mistake as I didn’t ask and neither did they explain it when asked if had box just thought they meant in the main living room where connection would be 

mistakes happen which is understandable so guessing error on both parts and I will have to try and ring them when get chance 

thank you 

@Jay250318 wrote:

Thank you both for your information and responses

and yes was quick start as the person said it was quicker it was my mistake as I didn’t ask and neither did they explain it when asked if had box just thought they meant in the main living room where connection would be 

mistakes happen which is understandable so guessing error on both parts and I will have to try and ring them when get chance 

thank you 

Ah right. It's certainly not your fault but it's ridiculous that Virgin didn't check to see what cabling you had and needed. Once you speak to them, I assume they will arrange for an engineer to visit and install your mini box.

Many thanks appreciate your comments and response 

hopefully can get it sorted