cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin TV box, very loud fan noise

Bobzurunkil
Tuning in

Hi there,

I just moved house and registered for internet and TV 360 self starter kit.

The TV box is contstantly loud.I have been with virgin for many years and this is the first time the TV box is extremely loud, there is nothing blocking the air flow on the box and the fan is constantly on and very bothering. I have seen many post online with customers with the same issue, could it be a faulty box ? This is the first time I have a Tv360 box and all I can say it's terrible.

I have restarted the box on numerous occasion and the fan makes noise as mush as an airplane, this is not an acceptable noise level.

Can anyone advise ?

Thank you

17 REPLIES 17

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Bobzurunkil,

Have you tried a factory reset?

To factory reset go to Settings (the cog at the end of the Home menu) > System > Factory Reset.
It's actually misnamed and only a partial system reset and not a complete factory reset. You are given 2 options
Keep Recordings
Format Disk

Choose Keep Recordings. With the 360 choosing that first option you won't lose your recordings or any links you've set up (but will have to sign into apps such as iPlayer, Prime, Netflix and ITV Hub again)

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

roy247
Community elder

If the factory reset didn't work and I suspect it won't, you will need to call Virgin on 150 from a Virgin phone to report a fault.

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Bobzurunkil,#

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to hear that you were having issues with your new 360 box being very loud, 

I have managed to locate your account and have run checks our end and it hasn't picked up any issues, if the noises are vibrations then You could try using anti-vibration materials such as a foam / cork / rubber mat (available from most discount stores) to rest the set top box on, ensuring the material used doesn’t obstruct any ventilation holes.

If this is effecting your recording then it may be a Hard drive issue, are you able to record and play back without any issues?

Did the factory reset help as advised by Roy247?

Regards

Paul.

Regards

Paul.

Hi there,

This is not acceptable I am afraid, we will call and ask for a replacement otherwise we are leaving.

How can you check for issues remotely ? it's a fan problem please replace the box, it's mechanical problem.

Thank you.

Is it effecting the recordings, were you able to record and play back the recordings?

Regards

Paul.

Virgin does not want look into it.

We just called them and the adviser did not care at all, did not want sent a replacement box, did not want to look into it.

Bobzurunkil
Tuning in

Dear Virgin,

I just called your customer service and spoke to your adviser who was awfull, he did not care at all about the issue we have with the new virgin TV box.

We have advised the box is extremely noisy with a constant loud fan, we requested a replacement box or an engineer visit and the adivser refused and said that's fine we can leave if we want.

I can't believe the way you treat your customers, and I would expect better from Virgin media.

Please advise why don't you trust your customers and are not bothered to send a replacement box. I have been with Virgin for many years and this TV box defintiely has an issue.

You can also check on your virgin community posts from other customers with the same issues.

Please could you look into this.

Thank you.

Bobzurunkil
Tuning in

Hi,

We have the same issue with a new TV box which is extremely loud and defintily has an issue. We just called virgin who does not want send an engineer or replace the box, the adviser did want look into it and said that's fine if we leave.

Who did you contact at Virgin ?

Thank you for your help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Paul_DN wrote:

Hi Bobzurunkil,#

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to hear that you were having issues with your new 360 box being very loud, 

I have managed to locate your account and have run checks our end and it hasn't picked up any issues, if the noises are vibrations then You could try using anti-vibration materials such as a foam / cork / rubber mat (available from most discount stores) to rest the set top box on, ensuring the material used doesn’t obstruct any ventilation holes.

If this is effecting your recording then it may be a Hard drive issue, are you able to record and play back without any issues?

Did the factory reset help as advised by Roy247?

Regards

Paul.

Regards

Paul.

This seems such poor advice on VM’s part. Advising a customer to sit the box on foam to prevent the noise rather than find a fix. Just because no issue was detected remotely, doesn’t mean the issue doesn’t exist.