cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin TV Remote notification for Soundbar/TV (Software Bug)

LewisEdgar
On our wavelength
I recently connected a Sony Soundbar to my LG TV and keep getting these notifications in the top right corner of my screen from my 360 box:

‘You can now use your Virgin TV remote to control this Virgin TV box, and change the volume and power off your LG TV.’ or ’You can now use your Virgin TV remote to control this Virgin TV box, and change the volume and power off your Sony TV.’

The notifications appear every few minutes and are extremely annoying!

I can change the volume control on my remote to control the LG TV, which in turn controls the soundbar as it's connected via HDMI ARC or I can directly control the Sony soundbar. Depending on which device I set for volume control, a notification saying I can control the other one keeps appearing. For example, if I set volume control to LG TV I get notifications that I can control the Sony.

There is no way to disconnect from either device in settings to prevent getting the notifications. I have tried multiple reboots and no joy!

There are other threads with similar issues, yet this software big has still not been fixed:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-360/Soundbar-notifications-issue/m-p/4765137#M16027 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-360/TV-360-found-new-device-to-pair-with-your-remote-...

It's very disappointing I'm not able to use my soundbar with Virgin for this reason - if it's not fixed quickly I'll be moving to Sky!!

246773689_1572577476422155_4184242602670717748_n.jpg

41 REPLIES 41

Hi Joreol, yes I am (or was before I disconnected it)

I think it's pretty clear that the error related to a software issue when a soundbar is connected via HDMI arc. For some reason the software is reminding the user that they can control the volume with the notification showing every couple of minutes. 

Virgin mods, please, can you pass this to your technical team to replicate by connecting a soundbar to a TV with HDMI arc ? If you can replicate the error then that would be a good starting point to acknowledge that this is software bug....

I don’t usually sign up to these but have to add to this……

Brand new Samsung 32” tv and brand new mini Panasonic sound bar after having your tv fitted a week ago. 

Guess what, same as everyone else’s contestant pop up. So I tried using arc in the living room instead of with these two. 

Samsung TV - year old and 6 year old Bose solo sound bar. Same issues. 

I can also confirm this is not the sound bar or tv as it did work perfectly well with the living room ones on sky q. 

I am happy and would love someone from virgin to contact me about it as we are now on your max it pack with everything you do and tied to o2 spending plenty with you….. we all know it’s software can someone give ideas of when it will be fixed. Disable pop ups for speakers. Solved. They obviously do work just that annoying pop up. 

look forward to hearing from someone or a response of a technical nature before everyone gives up and starts leaving you which is sad over something so silly. 

Merry Christmas to everyone on the thread, hope we have a pop up less Christmas 😂

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, broberts,

Sorry to hear this popup has appeared. Just to clarify, did the pop up appear prior to the Panasonic sound bar or can you confirm that if you removed the sound bar does the pop up appear?

Cheers,

Corey C

Both tvs allow control of the speakers in the tv without the pop up. 

You can even put optical in both after pairing the remote and the remote still controls volume of speaker bar.  

Only problem is without hdmi arc they don’t come on and shut down with the tv and virgin. As soon as the hdmi is plugged into tv and speakers the pop up keeps coming on and off. 

Same setup with sky q works fine in both so know no issues with cables speakers tv etc. it does work, just the pop up never goes away 🙂

Thanks  for the reply, hope we can get this working 🙂

Barrie

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @broberts

We're aware of the issue and it has been fed back to our teams who are looking to get this fixed. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

That’s great, could you post on here when there’s an update? Or shall we just try after the next firmware that comes down?

have a great Christmas all…….

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

As soon as we have any further information we will update the thread. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Any update. Get the same issue with a brand new Sony TV and Sony soundbar. Also previously with a Philips TV and Panasonic soundbar!

Hi aliG,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're having with this. 

Can you confirm are you getting the same message?

^Martin