cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin TV 360

ernvmc
Joining in

My Wife and I are in our late *)'s earl 90 year old. we have two V6 boxes at moment mainly to record programes we like t6o watch in our own time.

After receiving a pnone call from Virgin regarding our media contract which was do for renewal in May. I had great difficulty in understanding what the Lady was saying and when she said that they were changing my control box I thought it was an upgrade and was something we had to do. When I received two handsets this morning in the post without much in the way of details I was very surprised and confused.  

Can anyone advise us if we should change to this new system or stick with our V6 boxes that we have got used to using. What is the advantage for us if we change, and is it compulsory or can iI say we do not want it now.

WE do not travel much and cannot see any advantage for watching TV outside WE do not watch Sport or game shows much, normally watch the Free view Channels and the old replays of programs  from our younger days  and we also have our Prime TV fire sticks.

I was actuall thinking of stopping My TV contract and using Free View if I needed BBc ITV etc, THe only reason we have kept it is for the recording facility of the V6 box with all of its frustrating   faults you get every so often.

The phone call said that as we we long serving customers since 1997 or before virgin took over they wished to give us a good deal. The other thing was that they said that they were reducing our package  to £94 per month from £118.

We do have our Wifi, Telephone with them as well so the £94 is for the complete Package

As you cannot change back once changed should we not change at all or can we take a chance and have one V6 box as normal and the other changed to 360 just to see if it is for us.

Would be glad of any sensible advice anyone can give to two old oldies.

By the way my wife watches different programs on her V6 than what I Like. Most of them you can get on Freeview.

Thank You for your indulgence

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's too late to stop this now, but what you've been sold is a conversion of your TV box software from TiVo-based SW to to 360-software. Imagine converting a laptop from Windows 10 > Windows 11, and you're on the right lines. No package or billing change requires this change and you could have kept your existing V6 setup, but many do this at the same time and that's what been sold to you.

The channels you receive and the price you pay are both dictated by your bundle package not the TV software, and you have a 14days cancellation period with that. But the change of TV box is irreversible and I'm afraid that can't be changed - 360 is very different to the TiVo-software you're used to, and also means that all your existing recordings & series-links will be lost. A conversion is completely voluntary, upto the point where you request it or an agent processes it - once that's happened, then there's no stopping it. Also you can't mix "TiVo-based" & "360-based" boxes in the same home - you either have all of one, or all of the other.

As regards your package bundle, it's entirely possible that you were on an old-bundle that was long since discontinued, and consequently your new bundle could be more cost-effective. You can view details of your new package by logging into your "myVM" online account and downloading a PDF copy, it should also be emailed to you a day or so after agreeing to it. But the package bundle & software-change are two different elements.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

roy247
Community elder

If you have received the remotes it's possibly too late to stop the change, if that's what you want to do you will need to call Virgin on 150 from a Virgin phone and select the I am thinking of leaving option and speak to retensions.

You can't switch back to V6 from 360 and you can't run a V6 and a 360 box side by side to see which one you prefer as the software is different and your account can only be linked to one.

If you do switch you will lose all your recordings when the boxes update.

Heres a link with the instructions,

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-upgrade-v6-box-to-360-box

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's too late to stop this now, but what you've been sold is a conversion of your TV box software from TiVo-based SW to to 360-software. Imagine converting a laptop from Windows 10 > Windows 11, and you're on the right lines. No package or billing change requires this change and you could have kept your existing V6 setup, but many do this at the same time and that's what been sold to you.

The channels you receive and the price you pay are both dictated by your bundle package not the TV software, and you have a 14days cancellation period with that. But the change of TV box is irreversible and I'm afraid that can't be changed - 360 is very different to the TiVo-software you're used to, and also means that all your existing recordings & series-links will be lost. A conversion is completely voluntary, upto the point where you request it or an agent processes it - once that's happened, then there's no stopping it. Also you can't mix "TiVo-based" & "360-based" boxes in the same home - you either have all of one, or all of the other.

As regards your package bundle, it's entirely possible that you were on an old-bundle that was long since discontinued, and consequently your new bundle could be more cost-effective. You can view details of your new package by logging into your "myVM" online account and downloading a PDF copy, it should also be emailed to you a day or so after agreeing to it. But the package bundle & software-change are two different elements.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for your reply to our concern, maybe it will be ok in the end once we get used to it.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @ernvmc 

The following page has lot's of information regarding the 360 boxes, it should give you an idea of how to use it and explains some of the differences compared to the older V6/TIVO boxes.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-360 

The following page also describes some of the differences between the V6 and 360 platforms.

/Virgin-TV-360/360-Features-v-TIVO-Features 

The information in the above links were posted before VM updated the 360 to the latest version which is 4.39. 

Contrary to the info in those links ('You can't set the 360 to record new only, however you can select which series you want to start recording from in your series links, the box will record everything from that point onwards'.) since version 4.39 you can now record new episodes only.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali