cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin TV 360 and mini coax cabling

vsurresh
On our wavelength

Hello.

I finally decided to go with the Ultimate Oomph TV package. Could someone please clarify how the cabling works? We have the Virgin Engineer visit next month to set up everything. I'm planning to run the coax cabling in advance behind the walls. 

We are currently refurbishing the house and running the ethernet cables throughout the house. The sales rep on the phone mentioned that the 360 main box and the mini box uses coaxial cable.

Does Virgin uses the standard coax cable? If yes, I can run the cable while we are doing the building work.  I remember reading somewhere that Virgin uses non-standard coax cable which can only be installed by the engineer. Is this the case?

How do they connect to each other? My understanding is that the 360 main box directly connects to the Virgin media socket on the wall as shown below. So, what about the mini box? Where does it connect to? Does it connect to the main box or to the wall socket?

virgin-media.PNG

Thanks in advance guys.

23 REPLIES 23

It's me again. The ultimate package comes with 360 main box and a mini box. Is there a way to get additional mini box? If yes, how much does it cost?

vsurresh
On our wavelength
Thanks a lot. I'm ordering one.

Paul621
On our wavelength

Forgot to say they can split your coax and run it up outside wall. If you use a cable draw make sure it's not trapped before replacing floor. I was lucky they sent me 2 full size 360 boxes[no mini box] so kept recording capacity on both. I think it's around £7.50 for a third box with the ultimate oomph package. 

vsurresh
On our wavelength
Perfect, thanks.

Paul621
On our wavelength

It says its a fiver a month for an extra mini-box on the ultimate package. Why not enquiry about an extra full size box so you would have 2gb recording capacity over the 3 boxes. 

vsurresh
On our wavelength
Thanks for the response.

I signed up for the package yesterday and the person was on the phone was extremely helpful. I wasn't even going to get the TV, I called them up to move my 'broadband only package' to the new address. He convinced me to get the ultimate package with a huge discount. (moving home discount) He kept asking me If I have any additional question. Best service I received in the last 4,5 years.

I called them again twice today to get the pricing on the additional mini boxes. The first person wasn't helpful at all. He said that he needs to do all over again if I make changes to the package. (The new package will be activated on 26th of April)

I called again and the second one was worse. He said 'If I make changes to the package, I may loose the huge discount'

I will probably give them a call again and see what they say. Just to confirm, If I have 3 boxes (1 x main and 2 x mini) all of them need to connect back to the main wall socket via COAX right? I presume the engineer will do all the cabling for me.

Cheers

Paul621
On our wavelength

Yes all the boxes need connecting to coax and a Wi-Fi /ethernet connection. I've just renewed my ultimate oomph package for 18 months for 79 pounds which I'm well happy with. 500/600 speed broadband alone is £62. The unlimited sim must be worth 10/15 quid. Extra box upstairs another tenner. All sky/bt sports channels and sky cinema. Kids package. And 200+ more channels. Plus calls anytime on landline(although haven't plugged it in for years] if needed. £2.60 a day you can't knock it. 

vsurresh
On our wavelength
Nice. I got it for £65. I already tied with a sim plan, so not going to use the sim that comes with the package. However, Broadband + Sky Sports + BTSports for 65 quid is such a good value.

Can I ask how you're getting the oomph bundle so cheap? I was quoted £99 for first 18 months and then £139 after that! Or maybe that's only if you want to continue on a rolling 30 day plan?

vsurresh
On our wavelength
Hey, even I was surprised. I was moving home so, he said this is a moving home discount. I think it depends on the sales rep as well. The one who gave me the deal was very helpful.

Cheers