cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin TV 360 - Voice Command Failure

TheValleyBoy
On our wavelength

Hi all,

Last night the 360 Box stopped taking voice commands and keeps telling me there is an Ethernet/Wireless issue - error code CS9996. I use wireless to my hub from the box. I follow the prompts and it tells me I am connected. But I still have the same problem

I have checked everything but all seems well with connections.

I can still get all channels except Netflix.

I can access recorded stuff but it all starts at the beginning of programmes even though I may have seen half of an episode.

Any idea what is wrong and how I rectify this ?

Thanks...

11 REPLIES 11

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The recordings not starting from the last watched point is symptomatic of what you are getting told - an issue with the internet connection, in your case via WiFi.

I would try a power off/on reset, if you have not done so already.

If this fails, try a factory reset from the TV 360 menu system.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi VIP,

I've done the 'power on/off' reset.

Will look into 'factory reset' as not sure of the implications on stored stuff and recording settings.

Cheers

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi ThevalleyBoy,

To factory reset go to Settings (the cog at the end of the Home menu) > System > Factory Reset.

It's actually misnamed and only a partial system reset and not a complete factory reset.

You are given 2 options
Keep Recordings
Format Disk
Choose Keep Recordings

With the 360 choosing that first option you won't lose your recordings or any links you've set up (but will have to sign into apps such as iPlayer, Prime, Netflix and ITV Hub again)

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi there,

Tried that but when I select 'Factory Settings' it wont let me go any further!

Do you have any other solutions?

Thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again TheValleyBoy,

Please try again.

When you select System  the Factory Reset option is at the bottom of the page.

Click Factory Reset, then on the next screen enter your PIN number (the default pin is 1234 unless you have changed it)

On the Factory Reset screen select the top option Keep Recordings.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi,

Tried many times but push 'Factory Settings' and it tells me I have a "Network Problem".

Thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again TheValleyBoy,

Are you able to try a wired connection instead of wireless?

Is the 360 box connected on the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz band?

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

Open a browser and log into your hub 192.168.0.1 - then navigate to the following settings so you can differentiate between the signals.

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click on Disable Channel Optimization  then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes. 

Now go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add a 2 to the end of the 2.4GHz Channel name, then further down add a 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name  and click on Apply Changes. That way you can differentiate between the two signals and hopefully get a stronger wireless connection.

You can leave the passwords the same as they are.  Then log out of the hub at the top of the page

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

No matter what I did, I couldn't get the 'voice command' feature to work.

In the end Virgin sent out a technician.

He fixed it in less than a minute !!

I could go to wi-fi connection and it would tune into this no problem at 88%.

However, then it would immediately seek an Ethernet connection because the 360 box was connected to Net Gear via an Ethernet cable. He simply removed this and everything worked as it should.....

Why couldn't the phone helpline tell me this ??

Anyhow, thanks for all your comments and guidance.

Try the above if you ever hear of a connection problem similar to mine.

TVB

Hi @TheValleyBoy

Thanks for coming back, looking out for your fellow community members and confirming what the resolution was.  That could be really helpful in the future.   Remember if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R