cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin TV 360 IR Control

byhamc
Tuning in

Hi,

Recently had my V6 box 'upgraded' to TV 360. I won't get into the various complaints I have on the latest software, which definitely doesn't feel like an upgrade to the V6 box....

Instead, my question relates to control of the TV360 box. The new remote, as I understand it, connects to the box via bluetooth. I have a Smart IR blaster, which allows me to control various home products via my google home devices, and overnight, I appear to have lost the ability to control the Virgin box using this tool, after upgrading to TV 360.

Does anyone know if I can still control the TV360 box using IR as well as BT (I know the box is capable, as it's still the old V6 box with a software upgrade). Alternatively, does anyone know if Virgin are planning on allowing Google Assistant to control the box (again it can be controlled via the app, so this is definitely possible).

Look forward to your comments

Regards

Chris

51 REPLIES 51

biggm68
Tuning in

Like others on this site - I have also upgraded to 360 but am regretting it

before I had 2 x v6 both connected to all TVs in the house via switching unit and controlled the channel’s and main menus via the TiVo controller using ir blaster. Worked a dream. Kids were happy, so was i

now can’t use the ir at all on the 360

have 8 redundant TiVo v6 controllers and can’t use the box’s unless I change the Channel using the new remote in the garage 

this is a backward step

why can’t I use multiple v6/TiVo controllers via infa red anymore

disaster

wont talk about the tech support in wherever- they know nothing 

help

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to us. 

I am sorry to hear that you unhappy with the 360 upgrade.  I will defiantly pass your feedback on to our developers. 

Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M   

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can use ir, I use a Harmony remote that's ir only and it works fine for the 360, you just need to program it as a "Ziggo Mediabox next" the IR commands are very different from the Tivo ones to make all the boxes the same for all countries 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thx dannylau but i have a slightly odd set up in that my two old v6 boxes (now 360 boxs) are in a rack in the garage and they are shared over a 4k matrix. the changing of the channel and bits is done via ir using a magic eye and not rf - its too far (one tv is in a boys cabin 50m down the garden). Why wont the old v6 remotes work using rf ??? I've put into rf by hodling down the info and red button - i know this works with v6. As i say three steps forward and 1 back. Who has 1 box per tv. 

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@biggm68 wrote:

Thx dannylau but i have a slightly odd set up in that my two old v6 boxes (now 360 boxs) are in a rack in the garage and they are shared over a 4k matrix. the changing of the channel and bits is done via ir using a magic eye and not rf - its too far (one tv is in a boys cabin 50m down the garden). Why wont the old v6 remotes work using rf ??? I've put into rf by hodling down the info and red button - i know this works with v6. As i say three steps forward and 1 back. Who has 1 box per tv. 

Well I only have 1 TV, but quite a few people have 1 box per TV.

And I suspect very few would have the technical ability to set up a system like yours, all I can suggest is getting some logitech remotes you can carry on using the new remote and the logitech together the cheapest logitech is about £40

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

gauntletguy
On our wavelength

I’m having the same issue. 

I used the IR blaster for Alexa control, but since the “Upgrade” have lost that. 

Am I right in thinking there is no resolve to this IR issue?

is there anything more than rumour about a app and Alexa controls for Virgin?

To be honest I’m shocked this doesn’t exist already and you needed an 3ed party IR blaster workaround. or did till they broke it! 

russters
Tuning in

I use a Crestron control system and was upset to find no IP control of the 360/Ziggo box, I will now have to try and create a Crestron control via IR until something else comes along, I trully wish I'd just kept my old V6 boxes, this is a backwards step in my book these are my thoughts so far

1, Only one remote can be paired to the box at any time.

2, Live pause is limited to 5 minutes so better make the Tea quickly, or go to the loo very quickly

3, still no option to turn parental controls off in a household full of adults it is extremely annoying having to put the password in all the time

4, also if you are watching several episodes of the same program you have to enter the password every episode.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi russters,

Have you contacted Creston UK to see if they do support the TV360?

Live pause is only limited to 5 minutes on the Mini boxes. If yuo want to "pause" for longer than a few minutes on the Mini box then record the program.

The following thread explains why parental controls/pin numbers are needed /Pin-ALWAYS-needed 

I agree the Pin numbers are a pain, but apart from VM it also affects Sky and BT subscribers.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

How come this topic suddenly stopped in October? Did you manage to resolve this? I hate topics which just stop without a resolution.

These are only my views; I've given them to try and assist but if anyone finds fault with my posting then please let me know.

Please excuse misspellings and anything which may not make sense or offend as the medication I take can sometimes have an adverse effect on me.

Chris (VMO2 Customer)
Ultimate Volt: ACTIVE
TV: Maxit TV
Broadband: Volt V650 Fibre Broadband
Phone: Talk More Anytime
Mobile: O2 Unlimited

I’ve managed to get basic control over IR but needs a bit of fettling , might get a bit of time to work on it over the festive season, I’d much rather have IP control though