cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin TV 360 IR Control

byhamc
Tuning in

Hi,

Recently had my V6 box 'upgraded' to TV 360. I won't get into the various complaints I have on the latest software, which definitely doesn't feel like an upgrade to the V6 box....

Instead, my question relates to control of the TV360 box. The new remote, as I understand it, connects to the box via bluetooth. I have a Smart IR blaster, which allows me to control various home products via my google home devices, and overnight, I appear to have lost the ability to control the Virgin box using this tool, after upgrading to TV 360.

Does anyone know if I can still control the TV360 box using IR as well as BT (I know the box is capable, as it's still the old V6 box with a software upgrade). Alternatively, does anyone know if Virgin are planning on allowing Google Assistant to control the box (again it can be controlled via the app, so this is definitely possible).

Look forward to your comments

Regards

Chris

51 REPLIES 51

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Another customer is using a Harmony remote to control a 360 box via IR, see here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV/IP-Control/m-p/4456135#M197592

So IR control is possible.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the response. I did see this and, whilst not a Harmony remote, mine should also allow for this. My issue is that I can't even get the 'old' V6 remote to work with the box anymore (and I assume this uses the same or codes) nothing seems to register on the tv360 box...

Regards

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@byhamc wrote:

Thanks for the response. I did see this and, whilst not a Harmony remote, mine should also allow for this. My issue is that I can't even get the 'old' V6 remote to work with the box anymore (and I assume this uses the same or codes) nothing seems to register on the tv360 box...

I have only ever used the VM supplied remotes so have no first hand experience of using IR on either V6 or 360.

I'm guessing the codes are not the same or your V6 remote would work, or it might not use IR if it is paired with a V6 via Bluetooth.  If the codes were the same as the V6 remote then why did the Harmony user in that thread need to tell the Harmony it was "Ziggo MediaBox Next" instead of a VM V6?

Is "Ziggo MediaBox Next" an option for your IR blaster?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@dannylau Sorry to tag you and drag you into this, but I recall you using a Harmony via IR and was wondering if you are able to use it on the 360 box and if so what do you need to set it to for the correct IR codes.  Hoping to shed some light on the issue @byhamc is having.

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The IR codes are indeed very different from the Tivo/V6 setting it up as a Ziggo media box next gives you everything you need to control the 360 via IR, I've been using it for several months apart from a few tweaks with the buttons to suit my needs it worked first time 

Hi

@dannylau @sca1972.

Thank you both for your help. My IR blaster has a few different options for ziggo media box next - I tried the first and it didn't work - will work my way through the list and see if I have any more luck with the others.

Thanks once again

Chris

davewillo
On our wavelength

Setting my Harmony to operate the 360 under the guise of a Ziggo Mediabox Next works like a charm 👍

Many thanks all.

My main issue is that mine is not a Harmony remote, it's a broadlink ir device and, whilst they have many devices codings listed on their app, they don't have the ziggo media box next. There are some unofficial versions listed, bit none of these seem to work.

So I need to work out

a) the codes for the ziggo media box next and

b) how to enter these into the broadlink system..

Think it's going to be a work in progress for a while. Would be a lot easier if virgin just opened up the system to work with Google assistant...

Thanks

Chris

davewillo
On our wavelength

I've  been told that Google/Alexa integration is something they are planning to do.