cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin TV 360 Box - Sound Issues

itstom123
Tuning in

Hi. I’ve recently upgraded my subscription to include a Virgin TV 360 Box. Whilst the set-up process all seemed to go okay & the picture quality is working great so far, I’m having an issue with the audio. On every channel on the 360 box the audio is extremely quiet - I have to turn it all the way up to maximum on my remote to get it close to a ‘normal’ level. This isn’t the case when I watch other things on the same tv but not through the 360 box (I.E. Netflix, Xbox etc), where the volume works well. The TV itself is LG & brand new and as I mentioned has no volumes issues when the 360 box isn’t being used, so it’s definitely an issue with the 360 box set up / not an issue with the TV. 

I just wondered whether anybody else had faced this issue and knew of a possible fix? I’ve tried looking in settings but no luck as of yet. 

Thanks, Tom 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi itsom123,

Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

Also try rebooting the 360.

Using my LG TV I've set up the following on my 360 

Settings > Audio & Video > Dolby Audio > Follow content.

You could also set that option to Always Convert or Disabled and see if that improves the sound.

If that fails try a factory reset.

To factory reset go to Settings (the cog at the end of the Home menu) > System > Factory Reset.
It's actually misnamed and only a partial system reset and not a complete factory reset. You are given 2 options

Keep Recordings
Format Disk

With the 360 selecting Choose Keep Recordings means you won't lose your recordings or any links you've set up (but will have to sign into apps such as iPlayer, Prime, Netflix and ITV Hub again)

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

Padstow50
Tuning in

I have the opposite problem in that my Panasonic Tv was on sound  level 23 but after the 360 upgrade I am now at sound level 12.

It’s very frustrating isn’t it - some of my Sky channels on the 360 box now seem to be dropping signal every 5/10 seconds (but none of the other non-Sky channels)...going to have to ring customer support again next week and see if they’ve got a fix but not a great start! 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi itsom123,

Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

Also try rebooting the 360.

Using my LG TV I've set up the following on my 360 

Settings > Audio & Video > Dolby Audio > Follow content.

You could also set that option to Always Convert or Disabled and see if that improves the sound.

If that fails try a factory reset.

To factory reset go to Settings (the cog at the end of the Home menu) > System > Factory Reset.
It's actually misnamed and only a partial system reset and not a complete factory reset. You are given 2 options

Keep Recordings
Format Disk

With the 360 selecting Choose Keep Recordings means you won't lose your recordings or any links you've set up (but will have to sign into apps such as iPlayer, Prime, Netflix and ITV Hub again)

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @itstorm123

Thank you so much for your post and I am so sorry to see this has happened! 

A big thank you to @newapollo for their advise and can I ask if you have been able to try these steps? Have they improved things at all?

Thank you. 

Hey Ashleigh, 

Thanks for your message checking in on the issue and thank you very much to @newapollo for their advice re: fixing the tv’s sound, very helpfully that (coupled with a full box reset) has fixed any audio issues.

However I’m still having an issue with picture quality. On some channels (I.E. Sky Sports Cricket, Sky Sports Premier League) the picture quality / signal constantly breaks up every 5/10 seconds. However on all other Sky channels there is no issue with this whatsoever. I’ve tried a few more box resets but no luck.

Any advice / tips other than 360 box resets on what might be needed to fix this issue with signal drops on specific tv channels and not on others? 

Thanks,

Tom

Just to add I’ve also tried a new HDMI cable but no luck*, thanks again. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Tom,

Double check that the white coaxial cable is snug and tight and free from any kinks and see if that solves the issues with those channels.

Since you're on the 360 I'm assuming the issues on Sky Sports Cricket, Sky Sports Premier League are the HD channels.

All VM channels are carried in clusters (Mux's) which don't match their EPG positions.

The following channels are carried on the same Mux as Sky Sports Cricket HD :- 

Eurosport 2 HD,  Sky Family HD, Sky Comedy HD, Cartoon Network HD, TLC HD and Sony TV HD

And the  following channels are carried on the same Mux as Sky Sports Premier League HD:-

Sky Sports Football HD, More 4 HD, Animal Planet HD, Sony Max HD, Sky Documentaries HD.

If you also have problems with those channels it points to either being a set top box fault, or a signal fault and a possible tech visit.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @itstom123,

Just wanted to check in and see how things are going. Have you seen any improvement following the further advice from newapollo?

I've tried running some checks from our end and there are a few potential issues with the equipment. I'd like to run some further tests so when you pick this post up, please could you reboot all your equipment (set-top box and Hub) and keep the TV box switched 'on'?

Let us know once you've done so.

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hey everyone, 

Thanks you very much again @newapollo for the advice on the below. I’ve checked the co-ax cable is properly plugged into the tv and into the 360 box which it looks to be. 

You’re also absolutely spot about the point re: Mux too. For the channels listed in your note which I have access to I’m having the same issue. For example, whilst Sky Sports Cricket HD is dropping signal, so is Eurosport 2 HD on that Mux. Sky Sports Premier League HD is dropping signal, as is Sky Sports Football HD on that Mux. 

Hey @Molly_G thanks for your message below. I’ve just rebooted my box and I’ll kept the box switched on this afternoon as per your message below if you’re able to run those checks from your end?

Thanks,

Tom