cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media TV box and Eero

Mistershafi
Tuning in

I was hoping someone can give me some reassurances. I'm contemplating adding virgin TV to my broadband and phone package (currently using Sky for TV). So at the moment I have my Hub in the front room in modem mode connected to an eero mesh system.  

In back room, where the virgin TV box is going to be, I have a eero node. I will not be able to connect the TV box to the hub using an Ether net cable.

Can I connect the box to the hub via WiFi? And will there be any issues with my TV services? Or can  I plug an ethernet from the eero node into the virgin tv box. 

I'm a bit nervous of signing up if my set up isn't going to work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Mistershafi 

All VM TV boxes need 2 connections to work..

1: Physical co-ax cable carries the live TV - if you don't have a co-ax connection point where you want to use the 360 box, this will mean an engineer-installation to install the cabling, connectors, splitters, whatever's needed.

2: An internet connection for OnDemand, streaming & updates. This is via your homehub, but can either be Ethernet or WiFi. Ethernet is always recommended given the choice, but there's no resaon a reliable wireless connection can't be used if that's what works for you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Mistershafi 

All VM TV boxes need 2 connections to work..

1: Physical co-ax cable carries the live TV - if you don't have a co-ax connection point where you want to use the 360 box, this will mean an engineer-installation to install the cabling, connectors, splitters, whatever's needed.

2: An internet connection for OnDemand, streaming & updates. This is via your homehub, but can either be Ethernet or WiFi. Ethernet is always recommended given the choice, but there's no resaon a reliable wireless connection can't be used if that's what works for you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It can work via a eero but the box also required a coaxial connection installed by the technician 

So if the TV box will be used at the back of the house the cable will need to run all the way from the front. Does the installation engineer do all of this? What about hiding/making safe the cable etc? 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Mistershafi wrote:

So if the TV box will be used at the back of the house the cable will need to run all the way from the front.

In which case you'll need a manned installation rather than a "Quick Start" self-service one.

It would be wise to have an idea as to where the cables can run before any install happens - the tech will be well-used to these concerns and accommodate reasonable requests.

Others more familiar with the install side might have specific advice.

If your Eero is connected by WiFi then take this opportunity to do whatever drilling to get an Ethernet cable from the main Eero to the Eero. The same hole in the wall can then be used to run the coaxial cable to connect the TV box (the tech will split the cable, one leg for the hub, the other leg for the TV box).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

So to explain my set up. I have a coaxial cable(I think) in my front room that the virgin hub is connected to. This is in modem mode as I have my main eero connected to the hub via an ethernet cable. I my back room I have a eero node connected via WiFi.

So I'm guessing they will split the connection so one runs to the hub and another runs to the back room where the TV will be. Can I ask the installation engineer to run a couple of ethernet cables then? That I can plug into the hub and then have the other ends in the back room?

And can I get an engineer before hand just to tell me what wan and can't be done, or should I get all this cabling in place independently before hand?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM techs will only install cabling related to their own network services, so they won't install Ethernet. That is your network. They will only run coax cabling to where the TV box will be installed. This can be externally around the building with a new entry point & socket as long as the cable run does not require going over the roof.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993