cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin 360 without o2 sim

BigChippy
On our wavelength

I currently have a 360 ultimate oomph package which matures shortly. A friend was recently given no option but to take an ultimate volt package with a payment of £23 to o2 in addition to his virgin subscription a total of £115.

I have a long standing aversion to o2 and would not subscribe to them. What are my options I am happy with virgin 360 and am I going to be forced to move to sky?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @BigChippy 

There are bundles on the following page without the Volt option (the O2 sim)

The lower price is the new customer price which you won't qualify for, the higher price is the out of contract price. By negotiating you should get something in between, if you do call then you can have a price point in mind to barter with.

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/packages 

You should be able to speak to retentions (thinking of leaving us) and negotiate a new contract.  They are generally based in the UK, and have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibility, along the  ability to fine tune the package options, also with a larger range of discounts than the front line agents.

I still agree with the other posters though, for example looking at the ultimate Volt package, it may still work out less expensive and just palce the sim in a drawer, or keep it handy as a backup.

You never know O2 may even have improved it's coverage in your area.  https://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker 

Hopefully you can then negotiate a deal with retentions that's suitable to your pocket and needs in exchange for a new contract

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Ultimate Oomph has been rebranded Ultimate Volt and it includes unlimited 5G SIM on O2. You are not forced to use O2, so can get your SIM card from another provider.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Or just accept the O2 SIM that comes with your package and file it in the nearest drawer.

No-one's going to force you to use it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for your comment, I get it, no one can make me use the o2 sim but it does mean I am paying for something I don’t want.

What I don’t really understand is that virgin are continuing to promote Virgin Mobile sims why the need to split from one provider to two, why can’t I get a virgin sim with the package, I wouldn’t mind if the cost was the same.

BigChippy
On our wavelength

Thank you for your comment, I get it, no one can make me use the o2 sim but it does mean I am paying for a product I don’t want.

Virgin  are continuing to promote Virgin Mobile sims why the need to split from one provider to two, why can’t I get a virgin sim with the package, I wouldn’t mind if the cost was the same.

Perhaps I am missing something, possibly the long term plan is to move everything to o2 eventually.

VM's deal with Vodafone runs until 2026, but in the meantime VM is encouraging people to sign up with O2.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@BigChippy wrote:

Thank you for your comment, I get it, no one can make me use the o2 sim but it does mean I am paying for a product I don’t want.

You choose the best price for your chosen combination - if that happens to include extras that you don't want, then gracefully file them appropriately. If the SIM bothers you that much, then you could ask VM for a price for the same package without it - but that may well be higher.

As for VM pushing O2 products, they have recently formed a joint-venture company with them and their long-term plan is undoubtedly to encourage that mobile option.

Every individual customer is perfectly free to choose their own preferred provider for each of their services, while VM is to be expected to promote quad-play and multi-bundling.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

… or simply recontract for three services, rather than 4. No Oomph, no Volt.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @BigChippy 

There are bundles on the following page without the Volt option (the O2 sim)

The lower price is the new customer price which you won't qualify for, the higher price is the out of contract price. By negotiating you should get something in between, if you do call then you can have a price point in mind to barter with.

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/packages 

You should be able to speak to retentions (thinking of leaving us) and negotiate a new contract.  They are generally based in the UK, and have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibility, along the  ability to fine tune the package options, also with a larger range of discounts than the front line agents.

I still agree with the other posters though, for example looking at the ultimate Volt package, it may still work out less expensive and just palce the sim in a drawer, or keep it handy as a backup.

You never know O2 may even have improved it's coverage in your area.  https://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker 

Hopefully you can then negotiate a deal with retentions that's suitable to your pocket and needs in exchange for a new contract

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi newapollo thank you for your helpful and informative post. I have been with Virgin since Telewest days, my problems with o2 arose when trying to transfer my number to blueyonder😩 perhaps I should forgive them after all this time🤔

I will speak to redemptions in time and hopefully negotiate a package that suits me it may even be that I will opt for the ultimate volt I have always struck good deals in the past.

my query really started with the problems my friend had renewing his maturing contract. He was told (apparently) that he had no option but to move to 360 volt which he did not want to do. For example “they” said he couldn’t get HD if he didn’t  nonsense of course but that is what he said. He has a habit of complicating things so perhaps he played a part in the confusion.

Thanks again