cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin 360 confused

ludbrooks55
On our wavelength

Hi out of the blue I get an email saying I have been "handpicked" to upgrade at no cost. Now I know very little about Virgin360 in fact until this arrived I didn't know it existed.

I am a 66 year old widow who does have access to Amazon Prime, Netflix and Apple TV but lives on my own. I do have a 4K TV and I believe I have a V6 box.

Is it a good idea for me to do this? It is free now but will I then have to pay more when my contract runs out (I am on the lowest for TV and broadband - Player? and medium?) ? Is it complicated to do the upgrade?

Any help will be really appreciated- do I have much to lose by doing this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Headline view: 360 is Virgin's newest software platform which replaces TiVo/V6. Many others on here - myself included - also got the same email. Some have gone for it, others - myself included - are ignoring it and continuing with V6 at least until the 360 matches TiVo for functionality.

Whether 360 is good for you, is something only you can decide. Do some background reading - it's a software update to your existing box, but fundamentally changes the look & feel, and some functionality.

Opinions can and do vary, depending on how you use your V6. The 360 has a couple of improvements, such as voice control and recording profiles. But in other areas - such as recording and series link, it is missing some of the functionality of the TiVo-software that your V6 runs on.

Opinions will vary, but one thing is crucial. Once you've converted to 360, you can't go back if you don't like it. So I recommend only converting if you're completely sure.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Headline view: 360 is Virgin's newest software platform which replaces TiVo/V6. Many others on here - myself included - also got the same email. Some have gone for it, others - myself included - are ignoring it and continuing with V6 at least until the 360 matches TiVo for functionality.

Whether 360 is good for you, is something only you can decide. Do some background reading - it's a software update to your existing box, but fundamentally changes the look & feel, and some functionality.

Opinions can and do vary, depending on how you use your V6. The 360 has a couple of improvements, such as voice control and recording profiles. But in other areas - such as recording and series link, it is missing some of the functionality of the TiVo-software that your V6 runs on.

Opinions will vary, but one thing is crucial. Once you've converted to 360, you can't go back if you don't like it. So I recommend only converting if you're completely sure.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks. I have tried looking things up about it but it gets very technical quite quickly and so I get lost. I do enjoy the series link function and I have no need for any other boxes in the house so perhpas, like you, I'll give it a miss.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In the interests of fairness, I'll clarify that 360 does have a series link functionality - so don't be concerned there.

It's just decidedly simpler than the TiVo-based system the V6 uses, with far fewer tweaks and options available.

Ask again in perhaps 6 months (educated guess plucked out of thin air - could be completely wrong!!) and I hope the answer is different.

OK I will check again but by then my free offer may not be available..... Thanks again.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I suspect that another free offer will come along in time if you decide to convert but miss this time, or even that it'll become free for everyone. At the start of this year, conversions were only by invite, then they became available to all at cost, and now it's FOC to targeted customers. You can see the way the pricing is going, and it's only (likely to) keep going to keep going the same way.

The overriding advice needs to be with a 360 - don't rush at a conversion, it's a one-way trip if you don't like it and the functionality will will improve with time.

Whoareya12
Tuning in

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it is my view. 

I was upgraded and I have had so many different tech problems. I’m back on the forum searching for an answer again. I’m so frustrated by it. 

my mum is of a similar position to you. I can honestly say there is no chance of her understanding or working out the tv with the 360. Her v6 is no problem at all for her. 

don’t get lured with the ‘free’ 

Thanks. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I will take the sensible advice on here to leave it for now as I can't see too many advantages for me but some disadvantages have been clearly pointed out.